Re: How do you read ALT in a table?

Kenny Dog <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi Quentin.

Thanks for that.I was guessing that the long description shortcut may be used, but not with the current version of NVDA.

I do have a master copy here from saturday i will give it a whirl with that, then put in the shortcut for it into the tutorial.
I just tryed it and when I now come across the table it will speak the table name for example school time table and when I do the long description with NVDA key + D it will speak out what I had put in there as in the description.

I usually look up to see what has been done in the master snapshot and have a bit of a play to see what to do, then write on how to use certain parts of it that may get used.

The stuff I am writing up is more the basic of using power point, excel and word with the copy of office I am using.
It should work on other versions if supported.

Gene nz

Hi Gene,

I came across this recently as I am nearly finished writing the "Microsoft Word with NVDA" course myself.

What we've done is read the alt "title" as you move onto the table, and the description is used as Long description (press NVDA+D in browse mode).

This is in the latest master build at least.  Issue is #5943 (closed): https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/5943

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 11:36 AM, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:
Hi guys

I am putting together a basic tutorial on how to use Microsoft word.

I can insert a table etc but after I enter in the alt text for the table
when I come across it in the document it does not report the ALT text
that I have put in. When I go to check again the table properties the
ALT text is there along with the description. But when i go back to the
document it is not read out. Is there already a ticket for this? or is
there a new key stroke i do not know about.

I can give steps to recreate the problem if it has not been done
already. If a ticket has not be done and can be created, could some one
else do it i do not like the way it is now.

Any help would be great. By the way I am using microsoft word 2010 and
nvda 1016.2.1 and windows 10 .

Gene nz

Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer