Re: Recommendations of IDE or command line interface for Python newby?

Vincent Le Goff <vincent.legoff.srs@...>

This would come in much too late but perhaps some people would have the same question.

As far as I'm concerned I use the Windows CLI.  True, it's horrible, it's a bit slow, it doesn't come with a lot of useful things, but all that can be set up.  I usually install Cygwin to have a Linux feel to my Windows command-line (and this is not required anymore if you're using Windows 10, I think).  The only thing I couldn't do on the Windows CLI was to have tabs, I need to have several consoles open and it's a bit of a pain, but otherwise I'm not complaining.

I have not much patience with IDEs.  They tend to be extremely heavy and not extremely accessible.  My experiences so far with Visual Studio, Eclipse and a lot of others has been the same: with a screen reader, it turns out to be much easier to do things with the console.  A good editor is really what should matter and notepad++ is good (though my first choice usually is notepad2, though it doesn't have as many options but I don't use a lot of them anyway).

So if anyone is going to learn Python and wondering what tools to use, I'd recommend:

1. Spending a bit of time to customize the Windows command line, if you have to work in Windows.  You don't need much but you'll definitely have to be comfortable with the tool and NVDA review mode to get access to the information.

2. Get a good editor.  notepad2 and notepad++ seem light and you shouldn't need much more.  Some people would disagree and encourage an IDE, usually I don't find the time worth it.  But that's just my opinion.

3. Get to know the tools you'll need to use.  Most of them will be accessible in the console.  PDB to debug and the unittest package in Python.  pip and virtualenv.  All that can be easily used with the command-line, as can Git and other control version systems.

HTH,

Vincent

On 11/18/2019 8:39 PM, Sascha Cowley via Groups.Io wrote:

I've never had a problem using the windows CLI.

On 19/11/2019 02:57, Aine Kelly Costello wrote:

Hi all,

?

I?m doing a data journalism course, and one part of it (starting Wednesday) is learning basic Python. I?m using NVDA and Notepad++, and as I understand, I need to set up a way to use a command line as apparently the Windows command line alone is not so user-friendly.

?

I know I will be using the Beautiful Soup library for web-scraping, but other than that, don?t have much info yet.

?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance!

?

?ine