Re: NVDA sometimes loses control and needs to be restarted

Annette Moore

It happens with me too, but it used to happen with System Access as well, so I just figured it was a screen reader thing. Restarting the screen reader has always fixed it. It was much, much worse with System Access, though, than it's ever been with NVDA, so I've never mentioned it. Since the last NVDA update (I'm using 2019.2.1), it hasn't occurred as often. It's usually when I'm doing things in Dropbox or occasionally when I'm using Tapinradio. sometimes it happens when I'm on a very what I call cluttered web site and things kind of slow down. I use firefox as my browser. As I say, though, it doesn't happen much now since the last NVDA update.

Annette

On 12/10/2019 5:11 AM, Lisa P Geibel wrote:
Hi Vincent and others,

SMILE I hate to break your heart, but you're not the only person this happens to. I was very glad to see your message and know that I'm not the only one it happens to. It is a fairly easy fix as you said, but can get to be a bother and you're right, it does seem to happen when I'm trying to do multiple things, but it can also happen when I'm just in the middle of an email. My husband thought it could be TWBlue instead of NVDA as that program does take a lot of resources, but I unloaded TWBlue and was still having problems, so I'm thinking as I first thought that it's something with NVDA and hopefully it will get fixed in the next update.

Lisa P. Geibel
For Mine and Marcus's Christian and Messianic audio show, call 631-403-1002 and press 9997 for that show.
For Marcus's Big Brother breaking news and shows, call the same number above, but press 9998 for that show.
For either show, once you're in, press 1, then 0
If you want to hear previous shows, after dialing the above phone number and choosing which show you want, press 2.
We'd love to hear from anyone about these shows and thank you for listening.
email:
 lisapgeibel429@...
Twitter:
LisaLisa429
Facebook:
m.facebook.com/ldporter1
May YHWH bless you all

On 12/10/2019 5:55 AM, Vincent Le Goff wrote:
Hi everyone,

This has been happening for some time, on so many computers and with so many different NVDA versions I can't believe I would be the only one to see this, and it's not a huge inconvenience, but it's strange and might be worth looking into.  Regardless of the activity sometimes NVDA "loses control".  The key hooks (the NVDA key and all the shortcuts associated with it) stop working.  Using the numeric keypad works as would without NVDA. Pressing Caplocks, which is a NVDA key for me, triggers the CapLock function.  NVDA still works somewhat and tries to report information, but one can't open the NVDA menu, read the time, look at the window title or indeed do lots of things controlled directly by NVDA.

When does it happen?  I've tried to reproduce the issue and it's tricky.  It never seems to happen at a given time or in any given application.  All I know is that it seems to "lose control" when a lot of memory is required by other applications, which creates some kind of lag.  So this happens in a browser when the site has a lot of scripts for instance.  This can happen in Word if the document is long.  This can happen while the Windows CLI is opened and a "demanding" task is running. This can happen when lots of update information is sent to NVDA (the message queue gets long). It happens more frequently if the machine on which NVDA runs doesn't have a lot of memory.  It sounds like a Windows lock, not NVDA's fault, but is there a workaround?  Restarting NVDA and the delay it causes isn't really annoying, but it's definitely strange.

Most important question though: has anyone noticed this problem? Or am I the only lucky one?  Does happen!

Thanks,

Vincent