Re: NVDA sometimes loses control and needs to be restarted

Vaibhav Bhandari

Hi all,
So I installed NVDA 2017.4 today after uninstalling the latest version
of NVDA and found that this problem was not occuring. I think, for
right now if someone wants to get rid of this issue, the best way
might be to downgrade to that version.

On 12/12/19, Mário Navarro <mario.gnv@...> wrote:
hi

The same thing happens on my laptop.

windows 10 latest.

intel 7 kabilake, 16 RAM,.

cheers.

Às 10:55 de 10/12/2019, Vincent Le Goff escreveu:
Hi everyone,

This has been happening for some time, on so many computers and with
so many different NVDA versions I can't believe I would be the only
one to see this, and it's not a huge inconvenience, but it's strange
and might be worth looking into.  Regardless of the activity sometimes
NVDA "loses control".  The key hooks (the NVDA key and all the
shortcuts associated with it) stop working.  Using the numeric keypad
works as would without NVDA.  Pressing Caplocks, which is a NVDA key
for me, triggers the CapLock function.  NVDA still works somewhat and
tries to report information, but one can't open the NVDA menu, read
the time, look at the window title or indeed do lots of things
controlled directly by NVDA.

When does it happen?  I've tried to reproduce the issue and it's
tricky.  It never seems to happen at a given time or in any given
application.  All I know is that it seems to "lose control" when a lot
of memory is required by other applications, which creates some kind
of lag.  So this happens in a browser when the site has a lot of
scripts for instance.  This can happen in Word if the document is
long.  This can happen while the Windows CLI is opened and a
"demanding" task is running.  This can happen when lots of update
information is sent to NVDA (the message queue gets long). It happens
more frequently if the machine on which NVDA runs doesn't have a lot
of memory.  It sounds like a Windows lock, not NVDA's fault, but is
there a workaround?  Restarting NVDA and the delay it causes isn't
really annoying, but it's definitely strange.

Most important question though: has anyone noticed this problem? Or am
I the only lucky one?  Does happen!

Thanks,

Vincent

Thanks/regards: Vaibhav Bhandari