Re: key commands for NVDA?

Gene

As a practical matter, though technically his isn't what is happening, in the desktop layout, pressing 8 on the numpad will read the current line if you are in object navigation mode most of the time.  I much prefer this method of reading the current line than a command that requires two keys that aren't necessarily convenient to use in one command, that is, NVDA key up arrow.

Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 9:19 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] key commands for NVDA?

Hi Troy,

You can find both the Commands quick reference (straight list of commands and keys) and the User Guide (has more detail) from NVDA's help menu.  Press NVDA+n to open the NVDA menu, then H for help.  The NVDA key will be either INSERT or CAPS LOCK, depending on how you set it up.

As you are coming from Jaws, another document you might be interested in, is the guide to Switching from Jaws to NVDA, which you can find here: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda-community/wiki/SwitchingFromJawsToNVDA

As for your specific question, in Desktop keyboard layout, NVDA uses NVDA+up arrow to read the current line, but that is the up arrow key itself, not the 8 on the number pad.  Note that you can set the NVDA modifier key and whether NVDA uses desktop or laptop keyboard layout independently of each other).  In laptop keyboard layout, the keystroke to read the current line is NVDA+L.  Similarly the keystroke to read from the current point onwards is NVDA+down arrow in desktop keyboard layout and NVDA+A in laptop keyboard layout.

If you are interested in learning NVDA from scratch, we do have "Basic Training for NVDA" available.  You might find that you do already know a lot of it, so work through the switching from Jaws to NVDA guide first and see how you feel after that.  If you are interested in Basic Training for NVDA, it is available from our shop: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 2:06 PM Troy Burnham <troyburnham34@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Where might I find a list of key commands used with NVDA? I'm just now
switching to NVDA from jaws, and I understand that a lot of the commands
are the same but for example when I hit insert-8 on the number pad with
NVDA loaded it doesn't seem to read the current line like it does with jaws.

Thanks.

Troy

--
Quentin Christensen