Re: NVDA 2019.3 Beta 1 is out

Hello Quentin,

Recently I was thinking about it and I've decided to ask/suggest what I was thinking. It is related to the version number for the next release of NVDA. Yes, it is planned to be 2019.3, but considering that it will probably come out in early 2020, isn't it better to change it to 2020.1? And on second thought (which came just as I was writing this) - maybe it is not such a good idea to do such a change. Main reason against - it is the fact that add-ons have compatibility flags in their templates and the change suggested by me will brake those compatibility flags (the add-ons in practice will be compatible, but the compatibility flags in them will indicate otherwise (and the flags are what NVDA checks add-ons for compatibility)). So, we might as well leave the NVDA version to be 2019.3, even if it will be released probably in early 2020.

______
Best wishes,
Kostadin Kolev

На 9.12.2019 г. в 13:20, Quentin Christensen написа:

Replying to everyone at once just to save traffic:

Kostadin: I'm not sure when the translation freeze will begin, I'd suggest likely early in the new year, but don't quote me on that - I'll try to get you a more up to date answer.

Shaun: I'm not sure what you were replying to there about not wanting another announcement?  Which one don't you want?  Also re audio themes, yes, it will come, not in 2019.3, but it will come :)

Robert: Feel free to try the beta out, even if you are using non-standard add-ons, at least you can work out what will work and what won't and maybe find an alternative way for some things or convince add-on authors to update (and ideally publish on the community page - unless they.... wouldn't meet the legal requirements, shall we say, in which case, do consider finding an alternative :))

Gene: Glad the update didn't break your startup setting.  Fingers crossed it works from now on! :)

Quentin.

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 7:52 PM hurrikennyandopo ... <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

Hi Quentin

I noticed this time when I down loaded the beta it keeped my setting for starting nvda when windows starts up. it used to un check the box so glad it is fixed.

Well I am guessing it will stay the same from now on with each beta update?

Gene nz

On 9/12/2019 8:32 pm, Quentin Christensen wrote:
Hi Sky,

The copy to clipboard etc conversation comes up regularly.  For now, I'll just direct you to my comment last time this came up: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/66783

Re Remote, there are arguments for and against that.  For, as you say, means new users don't need to install an update.  Against is we often get asked by companies installing NVDA about security and what data NVDA can or does send.  Currently, it's quite easy to answer, as the program sends very little information and no personal information or speech content or what the user is doing.  If we included Remote in the core, we'd need to work out how to keep everyone happy.  I'm not saying we can't or wouldn't, but it won't be in 2019.3 (not least of which because aside from whether we agree or not, we don't tend to add too many new features after we release a beta - from now on, work on 2019.3 will primarily be around stability and addressing any issues which get reported.  New features will still be worked on, but for Alpha releases looking towards inclusion in 2019.1.

Regards

Quentin.

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 6:21 PM Sky Mundell <skyt@...> wrote:

Hello Quentin. I have downloaded the NVDA 2019.3.1 Beta release, and I have noticed a huge improvements over the 2019.2 one. Speech refactor is certainly a wonderful thing and I applaud speech refactor very much. However, there is one suggestion that could be included in the next betas. And that is the ability to have NVDA say, copied to clipboard, cut to clipboard, without the need for an add-on, and the second is I’d like to see the remote functionality built into the core of NVDA so that those of us who train on NVDA like myself can help clients without them having to install add-ons. Thanks, Sky.