Re: confused

To be honest, I have had issues with file explorer off and on with the windows 19xxx releases.

In 1909 its a hell of a lot better but its still about.

Its also happened on multiple computers not just yours.

I agree with the poster, a full reformat will probably make it go away though to be honest, I have been looking for a explorer replacement as I can't rely on it.

It choaks with folders with single files, folders more than 2-5 levels deep, or if you have 1 or 2 folders open and you transfer to a third or another folder on another drive.

It seems to half crash.

The only thing that saves me from doing anything really drastic is that bar times where I transfer stuff about which I do off and on the shell is not used much.

99.9% of the time, my daily work involves using programs on the system or directly doing stuff I know the paths for.

I don't need windows shell functions for most of my daily routeens.

When I am doing admin stuff I usually don't need the shell at all and if I do its 1 folder and 1 window only either a usb or a download but to be honest most of that I can do with stuff on the system which do not need me to go to folders.

On 27/12/2019 11:14 pm, David Griffith wrote:

I would be tempted to do a Windows Re-install with all these difficulties with the core functioning of my main screenreader.

However assuming  that you want to stick with your setup and do not want to switch to using Explorer ++ the way I have coped with NVDA difficulties with File Explorer  in the past was to switch to Narrator with control windows enter  until NVDA started responding again.

The situation is better now but for a long time NVDA was pretty dreadful with File Explorer for me, taking ages and ages to recognise and respond to any files in a file explorer list.  Not just sluggish but completely unresponsive. In those situations I simply switched to Narrator and used that with File Explorer. Unlike NVDA Narrator would instantly start reading the necessary filenames as you cursor down.  I continued like this until NVDA decided to wake up again. As soon as NVDA was responding again I would turn Narrator off again with control windows enter and revert to using NVDA solely.

You could try the same approach with your File Explorer Drive tree.

David Griffith