Re: info difference depending on manner of navigation

Jonathan COHN

This is hard to guess without seeing the actual HTML on the web page. I have seen some social links like this that are a i frame with just a link in them  and have found those to speak strangely though I don’t remember which screen I was using at the time. You might be able to find out some information with object navigation. I would try using the “k” command to move to the link and then hit insert-numpad up to move to the containing object and see what it says.

Jonathan C. Cohn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Giles Turnbull via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, December 29, 2019 12:08 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] info difference depending on manner of navigation

External email alert: Be wary of links & attachments.

Hi all,

this is just a curiosity question ... I was looking at a website called People Per Hour, a site for freelance jobs. I've only just joined and was investigating the various links on one of the pages.

I don't know what you will find if you're not a member, but this is the page I was on:
https://www.peopleperhour.com/freelance-jobs/writing/creative-writing/poetic-content-2493637

Down at the bottom of the page are links to the People Per Hour social media profiles. There are Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.

What I noticed the first time, navigating down the page with the down cursor arrow, is that NVDA just says "link", "link", "link" and "link". The second time I navigated that part of the page I used the k shortcut key and when I navigate that way I hear "link Facebook", "link Twitter", "link LinkedIn" and "link Instagram".

Why does NVDA describe the link when using the k shortcut when it doesn't when navigating line by line with the up and down cursor keys or doing read all? I wasn't aware of any mechanism like ALT tags for graphics for adding extra info to links that aren't graphical.

Giles