Re: NVDA Buzzing and Speaking in a Compressed Way During Keyboard Input on a Fast Laptop

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

Just wrote up a quick tutorial this was done for a windows 10 machine 1809 the steps which I will tidy up later on and paste on my website under trouble shooting.

I think when you get to the sound enhancements tab you will need to tab once or a couple of times it depends what nvda is focused on

or arrow through the listthen tab to hear the check box.

I had the box unchecked and also checked to see what it done and what you hear.

disable sound enhancements in Windows when you hear wierd noises

some times when there is a update for Windows etc you may hear a buzzing sound and other strange noises from the computer when using NVDA.

If this is the case you will need to turn off sound enhancements in Windows for your sound card. The steps to turn it off may be simular for other Windows 10 computers or earlier versions  of Windows.

Press the Windows key and in the search box type sound settings. when it comes up with this result, press the enter key.
The first option might say Choose your output device Speakers (High Definition Audio Device. next tab once to device properties then press the enter key. The next screen that comes up will say home. If you tab about 7 times you will then hear NVDA say Additional device properties then press the enter key.

The next screen should come up with  say speaker properties Shift tab back once or twice until you hear NVDA say General. there are 5 tabs there use your right arrow key to get to  the enhancements tab then tab a couple of times until you hear NVDA says Disable all enhancements. Please note after you tab once after the enhancement tab you might need to arrow down or tab to locate this disable all enhancements checkbox. You will hear other stuff for the sound card been spoken out  but they can be left unchecked.
You will need to tab to hear the disable enhancements check box if you arrowed down the list of enhancements.

 and check the check box with the space bar. You will then need to apply and ok your changes with the space bar.

Now those weird buzzing sounds etc should be gone.

On 29/12/2019 7:39 pm, Jeff Samco wrote:
Thank you, Luke.   Your instructions got me to the same place I had found on my own. But, I don't find an enhancements checkbox or anything similar. After  Exclusive mode is just a Restore Defaults.  This has me stumped.
I am working with my default sound device which is RealTech speakers.
Any other words of advice?
Jeff

At 10:06 PM 12/28/2019, you wrote:
On Sat, 28 Dec 2019, Jeff Samco wrote:

I had  similar behavior for me start up about 3 weeks ago. I use current NVDA public release on a Windows 10 laptop. I have RealTech sound but cannot locate
where to check enhancements. I looked in Sound Link oin Control Panel but couldn't find anything for enhancements. Can someone direct me?

Press Windows, and type:
sound
The first thing should be sound in settings. Press enter on that.

You should then find that your primary output device is selected automatically from the dropdown provided. If not, select it.
Then tab once to "Device properties" and press enter.
Next you tab (I believe) seven times, to "Additional device properties", and press enter.
Press shift tab, which takes you to the tabs of the properties window, and move right to "Advanced".

Tab from there until you find the enhancements checkbox, if you have one, and uncheck it. It should be right after "exclusive mode". Then hit apply or OK, and the rest is just getting back out.

There are more straight forward ways of getting to those settings right now, but that's the one I used tonight, so it's most fresh in my mind.

Hth.

Luke