Hi Group,

As long as this off topic thread is continuing, and the reference was made to the end of the world predictions in the year 2012, I really liked the Twilight Zone Radio episode concerning 2012.  It seems that some sort of astronomical event was sure to happen on that date which according to scientists was supposed to create a radiation burst that would kill most of not all life on earth.  So the rich elitist--call  them Illuminati if you want, created a system of concrete and steel reinforced underground bunkers where about one million of them might survive.  Except that when the event occurred, only one particular kind of radiation was present and those above ground survived and the kind of radiation that hit the earth was specifically amplified by (you guessed it) concrete and steel reinforced materials. The elitists cooked like food in a micro-wave and mostly everyone else survived.

so take that one conspiracy theorists!

On 1/1/2020 5:04 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:

Hmmm who actually knows.

There are so many predictions like the 2012 end of the world thing.

A lot of people in my family didn't care for the end of the world, since all of us would probably die, but to see the end of something or the beginning of a new thing is a momentus event in history even if after that you are no more, to see the end should mean something.

On 2/01/2020 10:32 am, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:

I've always thought a new decade started with a year like 2020.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of brian
Sent: Wednesday, January 1, 2020 1:30 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Welcome to the new decade

    I think the reason that so many people think of this year as the start of a new decade is there is no more 19 they hear 20 and think a new set of 10 years has started.  We have started the decade of the 20's so we can say we are now in the 20's and not the teens.  People said the same thing back when y2k happend that the new decade would not start until 2001. This is the first year of the 20's so why not count it as such?

Brian Sackrider

On 12/31/2019 10:16 PM, Oriana wrote:

Sir,

Thank you for your clarifying email. I would like to remind you that the year is only 2020 "anno Domini nostri Jesu Christi" in the Western Christian tradition, and is not based on an actually observable incident. Based on historical data, some have argued that the entire numbering system is as far off as 3 years from the census that supposedly took place right before Christ's birth. Also, the Julian/Gregorian calendar, which transfers from 1 BC (year of Christ's birth) to 1 AD (a baby Christ's first birthday?) without a year zero are not the only calendars to measure 2020 years from that point: several other Eastern and Western calendars count the years from 0, which corresponds to 1 BC in the Julian/Gregorian. Taking such discrepancies into consideration, it makes perfect sense to celebrate the birth of a new decade at year zero.

Yours respectfully,

Oriana

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019, 9:56 PM Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@...> wrote:

Hi group,

I will be ready to wish everybody a happy new decade in precisely one year from now.  The actual fact is that the new decade (the 2020's) does not scientifically start until 12:00 AM January 1, 2021.  The simple fact is that there is nor has there ever been a year zero.  Therefore, when you begin numbering years, it is just as if you are counting any object such as dollars, chickens or daffodils.  You don't have ten of them until you actually have ten in hand.

Arthur C. Clark the author of 2001 A Space Odyssey predicted this in his 1968 novel of the same name, written concurrently with the production of Stanley Kubrick's movie production.

In that book, Clark projects that people would celebrate the turn of the millennium on January 1, 2000 rather than when it should be celebrated on January 1, 2001.  This prediction came true--exactly as Clark described it.

So it is with this idea of the beginning of a decade.  So long story short: the decade ain't over until it's over on January 1, 2001.

On 12/31/2019 7:26 PM, Supanut Leepaisomboon wrote:

Hi everyone,
I would like to wish all of you a great happy New Year. Hope you all had a good time celebrating with your friends or family. May the new decade be an amazing decade for all of you.

Welcome, 2020!

Supanut Leepaisomboon

BBA International Business

Mahidol University International College

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"