From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shaun
Everiss
Sent: January-10-20 4:41 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] OCR

I have both abbyy and knfb I got knfb on convention week last year or was it
the year before when it was only 20 us it is a good program but had no idea
it works with a scanner.

On 11/01/2020 10:08 am, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:

Hi

The app I use on my windows 10 machine is KNFB reader and is very accessible
with nvda. it works with my flat bed scanner/printer and it seems if you
have a couple of computers with the same account and a spare scanner it can
be installed on the other computer as well.

I think also you can trial it 25 scans with some limitations then it has to
be brought. Not sure what price it is now I did not think it was that bad
may be 90 dollars kiwi on sale? You would ahve to see how much in your
language dollars but only works on windows 10.

Gene nz

On 10/01/2020 8:26 pm, Brian Crabtree wrote:

I don’t have any recent experience of Abbyy, but I set up Omnipage for a
friend in 2018 and he finds it works well with his flatbed scanner.

I set up two simple workflows using Omnipage itself (I can’t write scripts)
and he runs them using NVDA, rather than using the buttons on the scanner.

What follows are my instructions on using the workflows, in case they might
help someone to choose between Abby and Omnipage. Here they are:

The workflows allow you to choose either to scan a physical document before
doing O C R or to select a document to O C R - for example, a file that was
attached to an email, so is already in electronic form but is not yet
readable by NVDA.

Each set of instructions to Omnipage is called a workflow - the one you will
normally want I have called "Scan to Word”.

The way to run a scan is to start Omnipage from the TaskBar, using Windows
key plus T for Tango, then arrowing to Omnipage and pressing Enter to start
it.

It seems that Omnipage does not remember which workflow you were using last,
so you need to change the workflow each time, as follows:

* Load Omnipage.
* Remove the document it has saved from the previous run, if any, by
pressing alt plus f then n.
* Press No when asked to save it.
* Select the correct workflow using alt plus p then w to open the workflows
list.
* Arrow down to the one for “Scan to Word” and press Enter to select it.
* Start the selected workflow using alt plus p then w then s - if you are
scanning, the scan will start.
* N B if you choose the workflow to O C R a file that you have saved
earlier (e.g. one which was attached to an email) you will be taken to a
File Explorer window, to choose it, with the current directory set to
Downloads, so it’s easiest if you save attachments in the Downloads folder.
* Wait for the workflow to complete - for the scan workflow, click the "stop
* NVDA seems not to speak, so alt plus tab out & back to start speech and
you should hear it speak the wording that has been recognised.

If NVDA refuses to speak, you can get Omnipage to voice the result. After
pressing caps lock plus S (twice) to turn NVDA speech off:

* turn on Omnipage's speech mode by pressing F5 or alt plus t then s.
* press ctrl plus end to hear the result spoken.
* you can interrupt or stop Omnipage speech by pressing F.
* after it finishes, turn NVDA speech back on with caps lock plus S.