Re: NVDA - Can it read the subtitles in movies?

JM Casey

It’s been a while since I did this, but personally I download subtitles from a site like this one and read them on a braille display, since I want to hear the voices of the actors and not a synth. It is hard to keep up sometimees and there is no syncing with the video since I just read as a text file, but it’s doable, though sometimes you have to be a fast reader. Sighted people have this issue too though of not always being able to keep up with fast dialogue, even if they are at a bit of an advantage.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Oriana
Sent: January 12, 2020 3:22 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA - Can it read the subtitles in movies?

For various reasons, the subtitles for many English and foreign films are available at https://www.opensubtitles.org . Keep in mind that the subtitle standard is to record the speaker name for every line, but many publicly contributed subtitles simply don't. Timing can also be extremely frustrating.

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020, 3:03 PM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

I suppose you could turn off the sound of the film and just read the subtitles.  But if you are going to do that, you might do much better, in terms of accessibility, to see if the script of the movie is available.  There are some sites that are completely useless such as Scriptorama, (spelling) because the person goes through all the trouble of transcribing script after script, and doesn't include any information such as who is speaking and the setting.  There are other sites that have full scripts, but you will get earlier drafts on some sites, not the final scripts and there may be important differences.  So be careful what the site tells you about the script.

Actually, as I think about it, it might be cumbersome, but using a script from Scriptorama, maybe you could use it to find passages that are unintelligible in the film and read them while stopping the film, then returning to the film.

Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2020 12:19 PM

Rob,

        I get what you're saying, but just imagine what it would be like to have the dialog, the background noise that's part of the scene, and synthesized subtitles all being churned out at the same time.

        I understand what you're trying to solve, but I don't think that adding "a third layer" that's also presented auditorily will actually do that.  I guess it can't hurt to try, if it's possible, but I suspect a "making it worse, not better" outcome.

         ~ Robert Frost, The Black Cottage (1914)