Re: NVDA - Can it read the subtitles in movies?

Hello all,

Last time I checked, KMPlayer could output reading aloud of subtitles only via SAPI5 - no screen reader involved in this case. I don't know if braille output is possible in this case, but somehow - I doubt it.

On the other hand however, PotPlayer can output reading aloud of subtitles not only via SAPI5 or OneCore (with no screen reader involved), but with the screen reader involved (via UIA). The choice is left to the user. The options for configuring how the subtitle reading will occur Are located in PotPlayer's settings (opened with F5) -> Accessibility. The first group of options are for outputting via SAPI5/OneCore (TTS). The second group is for outputting via the screen reader. In the second choice, the subtitles are outputted as the title of the window. I don't know if this will help with reading the subtitles via braille, but you can try it and see. To stop the screen reader from reading the subtitles aloud via its voice, you can try disabling its speech (e.g. for NVDA - Insert+S or selecting "No Speech" as the current synthesizer). As I said - I'm not sure how well this will work, but try it if you want.

Hint: If you use the reading aloud via the screen reader option of PotPlayer and configure the screen reader to lower the volume of other audio while speaking, you can get a not bad dubbing result (winking smile).

P.S.: PotPlayer is also free as KMPlayer is, and I haven't noticed any bloatware in its installer.

______
Best wishes,
Kostadin Kolev

На 13.1.2020 г. в 21:53, Shaun Everiss написа:

Hmmm while I like subtitles in audio description and find that nice, I'd find it destracting if a synth did it unless it was a good synth.

Its been something I have been looking at for a while.

While yes I have the vocaliser code factory voices and while they do ok for books and general gaming, some of their pronounciations and such could be better.

I listened to neospeech and found out that a voice is round 300 dollars a year subscription.

And while making a few files was a secondary goal I wanted to read with my screen reader and or sapi.

I have listened to the ivona voices but they seem to have the same issues as vocaliser does after a while.

I have listened to the acapella voices, and I may eventually buy them.

I also know a place where older neospeech voices exist I could still buy but that site is so old and has a lot of old stuff I am unsure if it still exists or not.

On 14/01/2020 8:04 am, JM Casey wrote:

It’s been a while since I did this, but personally I download subtitles from a site like this one and read them on a braille display, since I want to hear the voices of the actors and not a synth. It is hard to keep up sometimees and there is no syncing with the video since I just read as a text file, but it’s doable, though sometimes you have to be a fast reader. Sighted people have this issue too though of not always being able to keep up with fast dialogue, even if they are at a bit of an advantage.