Re: Dropbox interfering with NVDA when reading Word files

David Griffith

Not at all stupid Clive.

First of all

Windows plus B to get to the notification area / system tray.

If you hear notification chevron you should press space on that to open up all your system tray icons to view. You can change settings so that your icons all show all the time but I will give instructions for that in another email if needed.

Now cursor left or right until you hear DropBox. If for whatever reason you miss this and hear notification chevron again then press space on this to make sure all your icons are showing.

As soon as you hear DropBox press the space bar.

This should open up the context menu in DropBox’s case – it does on my system.

From this menu select preferences.

Tab down to the section where it talks about badges and set this to never show and your problems with opening Office documents should disappear.

N>B  A regrettable feature of the system tray in Windows is that the key to open up the context menu varies. Sometimes it is enter, sometimes it is space as in this case and sometimes it is the application key. You need to experiment with each icon to see what works.

David Griffith

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Clive Lever
Sent: 15 January 2020 00:21
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Dropbox interfering with NVDA when reading Word files

Thanks David,

It always sounds stupid, but how do I get to Dropbox in the system tray?

Thanks,

Clive

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of David Griffith
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 12:06 AM

I don’t know if my original suggestion  ever got posted but this  problem disappeared for  me when I went to DropBox preferences in the system tray and turned badges notifications to never show in the General tab.

I have never, since  doing this, had had any issue opening Office Files of any kind in my DropBox under Windows.

I mention this again as it seems not to have been discussed as an obvious solution despite my trying to post it yesterday.

David Griffith

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Abbie Taylor
Sent: 14 January 2020 23:31

Shaun, I'm having the same issue as Clive. I usually open files directly in Word, no matter where they are. I still have this issue with files in Dropbox whether I'm opening them  there or in Word. Fortunately, I don't need those files in Dropbox, so I've moved them to a different location.
--
Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author
http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com
http://abbiescorner.wordpress.com
abbietaylor945@...

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.