Re: a question about the new edge browser

When it comes to any update of any sort from Microsoft, there's nothing more definitive than the source material from them.  There is an official support document entitled, Blocker Toolkit to disable automatic delivery of Microsoft Edge (Chromium-based), that states:  "To help our customers become more secure and up-to-date, Microsoft will distribute Microsoft Edge (Chromium-based) to Home and Pro Edition devices running Windows 10 version 1803 and newer via Windows Update. This process will start after January 15th, 2020 and more information will be available on that date."   I have not actually been able to find that "more information" today.

The blocker is not intended for home use, but by organizations that need to defer the installation of "New Edge."  "Old Edge" is on its way out, and if you're offered the update definitely take it.  The Chromium-based version of Edge is far more accessible than the original Edge ever was.

Loy is correct that like anything delivered via Windows Update it will not be a "flash cut" to every Windows 10 user in a very short period of time.  The New Edge will be rolled out like other updates that aren't security patches so that Microsoft can monitor system health telemetry to determine if issues arise.  If my experience with Edge Dev is any indicator, there won't be any for the vast majority of Windows 10 users.

         ~ Robert Frost, The Black Cottage (1914)