From: Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 4:03 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] edge showstopper maybe

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 02:44 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:

still by mentioning the words alpha or beta it implies something that is makeshift, not secure, not stable, could trash windows, could do who knows what.

Neither of which is accurate in the world of software development.

Alpha is simply in the earliest stages of development, and may be unstable, but seldom if ever is any of the other things.

Beta is considered to be quite stable, and things released as beta by commercial and many open source entities are considered to be possible release candidates, but will not actually be designated as such until a beta has been used "in the wild" long enough to show that there are not unsuspected issues, most of which would be minor, but possibly annoying.

Alpha software carries a high risk for possible annoyance and failure of that software itself, and very seldom takes anything else along with it.

Beta software can generally be thought of as being stable, with some possible refinements at the periphery that may be needed.   It's not uncommon for something to go from beta to release sans any changes, either.

         ~ Robert Frost, The Black Cottage (1914)

I have used the alpha snapshots of NVDA for two years, and have had no problems what so ever!

Beta is totally safe, and many programs have people test them in beta form!

With beta, how would people ever test programs and apps before they go out on the market!

David Moore