Re: Dropbox interfering with NVDA when reading Word files

David Griffith

I copy below the email I sent earlier to the list

Not at all stupid Clive.

First of all

Windows plus B to get to the notification area / system tray.

If you hear notification chevron you should press space on that to open up all your system tray icons to view. You can change settings so that your icons

all show all the time but I will give instructions for that in another email if needed.

Now cursor left or right until you hear DropBox. If for whatever reason you miss this and hear notification chevron again then press space on this to make

sure all your icons are showing.

As soon as you hear DropBox press the space bar.

This should open up the context menu in DropBox’s case – it does on my system.

From this menu select preferences.

Tab down to the section where it talks about badges and set this to never show and your problems with opening Office documents should disappear.

N.>B.

A regrettable feature of the system tray in Windows is that the key to open up the context menu varies. Sometimes it is enter, sometimes it is space

as in this case and sometimes it is the application key. You need to experiment with each icon to see what works.