Re: Problems w/single key navigation

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi Greg

Do you get unknown also if you use mozilla thunder bird? I did at one time have nvda not speak in web pages and mozilla thunder bird and I think around that time nvda saying unknown down on the task bar. It gave the same sort of problems as mentioned below. but I found out that the settings in mozilla had got corrupted etc some how and affected quite a few programs more Mozilla based and some others. I then deleted out the settings under %appdata% then re installed the program or 2 then it fixed it. but if i just uninstalled then setup over it again it did not.

But before or was it after that when the following was typed in below it fixed the same sort of problems having those problems.

But that was for mozilla settings.

Then after that come the com fixing tool but some times does not seem to work yet when typed in it does?

That was for a windows 10 machine at that time.

Troubleshooting - NVDA says “unknown” or “pane” in all of your browsers, Mozilla Thunderbird email client and other places
If for some reason you have problems with NVDA saying “unknown” or “pane” check for the following symptoms:

In all of your browsers, or the Mozilla Thunderbird email client, no matter what you do, you still hear “unknown” or “pane”.

In the browser, email client and other menus you notice you cannot get into your menus, or you are unable to use the quick navigation keys

When you have been told the page is loaded and notice strange behaviour

Mozilla Thunderbird saying unknown while you try to navigate it

Your applications key does not work with it being spoken out and other strange behaviour in Windows

The running applications icons are not being spoken out
It might be a good idea to do the following:
Please note: If you are hearing “unknown” or “pane” (as discussed above) NVDA might seem like it is still working properly but it may not be completely in Windows and other programmes.
You could try the following solution which will allow you to re-register your dll files in case they are causing the problem.
Press the Windows key then type the following into the search box. Type in “command prompt”. Once you have located command prompt, in the search results, press the Applications key to bring up the context menu. Arrow down to select “run as administrator” and press the Enter key. This will take you to a command prompt window. This will not be spoken out. You may need sighted assistance for this.
Type in the following command
for %x in (c:\windows\system32\*.dll) do regsvr32 /s %x
This should re-register all components in the system32 folder.
When it is finished, you can close the command prompt window with the Alt + F4 key. You should notice now where NVDA was saying “unknown” as in some examples given, NVDA should now read the icons in the running applications area of Windows, speak the content of the webpage and menus, and also in Mozilla Thunderbird and other places in Windows including the Windows applications context menu.
Run COM Registration Fixing tool
If you are getting any of the following problems below - with Windows unregistering some of the files needed by NVDA - the following tool section in NVDA will get you out of trouble. To access this tool press the NVDA key + letter N while NVDA is running. Arrow down to the tools menu. A submenu will come up. Arrow down to the menu called Run COM Registration Fixing tool... then press the Enter key.  It should register the files needed by NVDA.

Let us know what happens. I tlooks as though the tool did not work so you could try typing it in through the command prompt make sure all directions are followed correctly I know that has done the trick on the machine if the tool did not work for some reason.

The settings for mozilla seemed like a similarbug.

Gene nz

On 17/01/2020 8:39 am, Greg Rhodes wrote:

Running the NVDA com registration tool didn’t solve the problem. Still don’t have single key navigation in any of my web browsers. Other suggestions? Thanks.

Greg