Re: Unread/Read Status of Messages Broken In Thunderbird With 2019.3 Beta 2

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

Here is what is happening with my read/unread status.  In the past, I used to be able to arrow up and down and highlight the unread messages and the status would remain unread indefinitely until I actually opened the message and only after I had done this and closed the message would it show as read.  Now if I just arrow up and down over unread messages without opening them, after a short time, they will show as read--even though I have not yet opened them.  This began after I installed NVDA 2019.3 beta 2.  Is there some setting in NVDA that is causing this or perhaps some setting in Thunderbird got changed.

Any help wold be greatly appreciated.

On 1/16/2020 3:29 PM, John Isige wrote:
Huh! I didn't even know that existed. FYI, there are two radio buttons,
"immediately on display" and "after (X) seconds". Mine was set to
"immediately on display", so I can see how there would be a problem if
the other option is set, because the default time seems to be five
seconds. So that's definitely something to check, as it would be easy
enough for it to hit that if you've got a lot of mail coming in.

On 1/16/2020 13:11, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:
Hi

What have you got your message time out set to? Mine is set to 5
seconds otherwise I think they show as read.

In mozilla thunder bird go to tools then options then display then
advanced then under there is a setting to change your time out of your
messages. You might have to tab or arrow around to find it to change it.

Mine here reads the unread message as it status until I open it. I
think there was a setting in thunder bird so it could also save
replied etc but would have to look as have not used it for a long time.

Gene nz

On 17/01/2020 3:42 am, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Clive,

For me, NVDA used to show numbers of unread messages in the tree view
of folders when you arrowed over them.  With release of 2019.3 beta
2, this no longer works for me.  Many others are not having this
problem, so there must be something going on with my system.

On 1/16/2020 6:44 AM, Clive Lever wrote:
Sorry if this has been covered before, but I notice that when I'm
reading the list of folders in my inbox (Outlook, Office 365), in
Jaws, it tells me how many unread messages there are in the folder.
NVDA doesn't do this, to my knowledge. If it can say the total
number of unread messages the way Jaws does, please can someone tell
me how to make it do so? It's particularly useful when, say, I come
back from holiday to hundreds of messages, as it tells me when the
backlog is cleared.

Thanks,
Clive