Re: NVDA not reading Spell Checker fields

Quentin Christensen

Ah that makes sense - I wondered that you were getting such different behaviour from what should be essentially the same version of Word.

I must admit, and probably from having just been writing the Word training material I jumped straight there and never considered Outlook, my apology!

I have Outlook sitting there just waiting for me to set it up as I have been concentrating on Word lately, so I shall have to have a play with Outlook and see how it goes.  It looks like between you and Joseph, you've investigated it fairly thoroughly so I expect to find problems with spell check in Outlook as you have described.

The two places then to report this, are the NVDA GitHub issue tracker and Microsoft.

For GitHub, go here: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues

I can see there is an issue relating to Outlook 2007 and spell check which looks similar: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/2070

For Microsoft, I have reported bugs both on Twitter to Microsoft Accessibility: @MSFTEnable and also via the disability answer desk: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/answerdesk/accessibility

On Sun, Jul 31, 2016 at 10:06 PM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi,

When I mentioned this issue, I was referring to both programs, but put emphasis in Word.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Cearbhall O'Meadhra
Sent: Sunday, July 31, 2016 5:04 AM

To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA not reading Spell Checker fields

Thanks, Pranav,

As I hope you know, I have the height of respect for Quentin’s advice. I am confident that he is really clear when he describes something. That is why I am careful to reply with full details. Your message gave me the idea that we may not be referring to the same office programs!

I have been talking all this time about Outlook 2016 because I meet this problem many times per day. So, I have just opened Word 2016 and created a new document full of errors. Guess what? I can see the erroneous text in Object view by following your steps exactly and it works exactly as you both describe. It even opens with the “Proofing Toolbar” which Quentin referred to yesterday. Numpad4 does, indeed, show the erroneous word.

Now I am back in Outlook 2016 and the spell checker does not work the same way at all! It opens on the offered correction. When I press NVDA+numpad minus to   “move to focus” I get “Spelling: English (Ireland) Not in dictionary” and a carriage return after it but no erroneous text. Numpad 4 gives me “Close button”.

Joseph pointed out last night that this is a known bug so I assume that he is referring to the Outlook version rather than the Word version of the Spell Checker.

So, I think we have laid this firmly to rest now. I will have to continue with the work around in Outlook using NVDA+b and look forward to a more friendly experience with correcting each document that I create in Word.

Thanks for your patience, everyone!

All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...

the free version of Spam Reader to get rid of spam. The Professional version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails. Try Spam Reader for free now!

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Pranav Lal
Sent: Sunday, July 31, 2016 1:00 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA not reading Spell Checker fields

Hi Cearbhall,

I am able to read the misspelled text using object navigation. Quentin has explained it nicely so I will not repeat his explanation. I root the current cursor to the focus and then press insert+number pad 4 to read the misspelled word.

Pranav  

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Cearbhall O'Meadhra
Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2016 3:23 PM
To:
nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA not reading Spell Checker fields

Hello fellow list members,

I am using Office 2016 under Windows 10 with NVDA 2016.1.

Since I recently upgraded to Office 2016, I find that NVDA does not speak some of the essential fields in the Spell Checker. Particularly, the text that has not been found in the dictionary. The heading is there but I cannot see what text is being held. When I hit tab, NVDA speaks the suggested correction. Sometimes, I can guess which text is being amended but not always.

If I press F7 whilst editing the message, NVDA will track the spell check pointer and bring the focus to the erroneous word. If I press escape, interrupting the spell check, I usually find the focus point on the erroneous word. I have the Spell check set to activate automatically when I press send, just in case I have missed a typo as I normally do!. In this case, if I interrupt the Spell Check in order to see if I can see which word is causing the problem, I land at the beginning or end of the document but nowhere near the erroneous word.  So, I thought I would ask my helpful friends on the list if anyone can suggest anything that I can do about getting the spell check to speak the erroneous text while running?

Please help.

All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...

I use the free version of Spam Reader to get rid of spam. The Professional version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails. Try Spam Reader for free now!

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer
Basic Training for NVDA E-Book now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org 
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.