Re: windows 10 disk clean up

Roger Stewart

My computer doesn't even allow for defraging of SSD's. It does have an option called optimizing for those but still has De frag for regular drives.

Roger

On 1/22/2020 3:08 PM, Dale Leavens wrote:
Remember when doing disk maintainance that many modern computers now have fixed otherwise solid state discs which are not actually discs at all.  These should not be defragmented.  Defraging a physical hard disc will often improve speed of access but solid state memory has limited read/write cycles so defraging while it will rearrange files and file segments this involves rewriting parts of files to different parts of the memory therby ultimately shortening the life of the device.  Since the SSD isn’t actually moving the read/write time isn’t effected by defragmenting the memory.

Clean up old no longer used or orphaned files to improve the capacity of your disc memory but don’t defrag a fixed disc.

Cheers.

Dale Leavens
Cochrane Ontario Canada
.
Come visit our polar bears!

On Jan 22, 2020, at 2:28 PM, Arlene <nedster66@...> wrote:

Sarah, When you run these things? Does it make your computer run faster after cleaning the hidden things in your computer?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10