Re: Reader mode in Chrome?

David Griffith

Sorry I  should have made clear I installed Reader view as an extension in Brave – I cannot remember if it was the Chrome or Brave Web store I got the Reader View extension from. . In any case I have never personally come across an Chrome extension that does not also work in Brave.

David Griffith

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 23 January 2020 18:31
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Reader mode in Chrome?

I saw something recently that Reader View has been removed from Chrome.  In Firefox, I haven't played with other browsers in this respect, the browser determines whether a page meets the criteria where reader  view would be useful and it is only offered on those pages.  So the home page of  a newspaper wouldn't have it.  A page containing an article from the newspaper would.  It is intended for reading text, such as articles and other text intended for reading, not for navigating, such as in a home page.

Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2020 12:18 PM

I use one in the Brave  Browser called Reader View which is presumably identical in Chrome as they use the same engine.

When a page loads in which you want to invoke the reader view bring up the context menu and Reader View options will probably be there.

It may be that the context menu includes an option to show in Reader View or alternatively open link in Reader View – options seem to vary depending on the actual page and where you are focussed when the page opens. Anyway you get used to things working in certain ways on certain sites. I have learnt on some sites for example simply pressing application followed  by S will invoke the Show in Reader View command, but this does not always work.

I contacted the developers to request for a designated Reader View keystroke shortcut but they did not respond. They probably did not really understand the issue for those of us using screenreaders.

David Griffith