Re: Is alt + p a nvda or a Windows command?

Gene

Did you look in the menus and see if there is an item that, when you move to it, announces p as the short cut?  Or it could be a menu itself, such as the file menu in menu programs or the edit menu as examples.

Sent: Friday, January 24, 2020 12:00 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Is alt + p a nvda or a Windows command?

Thank you to all who responded.  I just thought I had
seen Alt + P in either a Windows10 book I was reading or one of
the nvda documentation files I have but all of you were right.
The software is named gd-77s as it is specifically for a two-way
radio with that specific model number.  It is a Windows program
that allows one to load the radio with frequency power-level and
other important data so that the radio works properly on whatever
channels it is supposed to work on.

Alt + P opens up two choices for the user, Read and
Write.  Read is getting the radio's current program state by
connecting a usb cable to the radio and downloading it's current
configuration.  Writing involves pouring out the settings you
have configured from your computer to the radio.

When nvda is set to beep at various pitches depending on
the vertical position of the focus, the progress graphic becomes
audible as a series of ascending beeps.  It reminds me of a large
jug being filled or what somebody's cat might sound like walking
on a musical keyboard.

That turns out to be useful because the usb interface is
flaky and one has to keep connecting and disconnecting it before
the Read and Write operations work.  When they fail, you don't
get any kind of message but instead get dumped back to the main
program screen.

I come from the unix command-line world after 25 years of
writing C, perl and shell scripts plus almost 5 years of
retirement so Windows is a new world but I also have been using a
Mac for ten or so years making the GUI a little more familiar but
I still need to learn a lot.

Anyway, many thanks and I have a nvda question I'll save
for another message as this software is a perfect nvda training
tool as it makes constant use of NVDA + numpad-/ to change focus.

Martin McCormick