Re: Too Much Serendipity. I'm Obviously Missing Something.

Gene

I should have said you can move out of where you are working, since you are still in the program interface.  In other words, you should be able to move away from where you are working by moving in the object hierarchy.

From: Gene
Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2020 8:34 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Too Much Serendipity. I'm Obviously Missing Something.

I expect you can move out of the interface without left clicking.  Do you know how to move by object and in the object hierarchy?  You should be able to leave any object without clicking by moving through the hierarchy.  I don't know if left clicking to move is causing the problem or part of it but it isn't the way you usually move somewhere else when working with object navigation.

Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2020 8:19 AM

First, thank you.  I will try your suggestion.

After a night's sleep, I have figured out some of the
madness and it's definitely not right but somewhat manageable once
you know what it is.

I open a new window and start the program.  I then load
the work file I am building and then virtually move the mouse to
the tree top.  Next, it's expand the tree and visit one of the
eleven major headings, expanding as needed or just clicking with a
double-left-click  for those that have only one level.

If you type the Tab key, you always start off by getting that strum
sound which means nothing is going to happen.

If you haven't visited any of the major headings and gone
in yet, your first attempt to open one usually works with the
double-left-click opening the item.  The Tab key starts working
and you can do your work then a Single left-click puts you back
out on the street, so to speak.

Here's what I discovered however.  After one visits that
first field in whatever area one chose, you can not apparently
visit other major headings.  The double-left-clicks stop opening
things or they are the wrong things or you end up randomly
somewhere else depending on how confused things are.

The Tab key now either reopens somewhere you've been or
the point of reference is lost and you just find yourself at a
heading that isn't needed right now.

I haven't figured out how to clear everything without
exiting the program and reloading.  something is remembering just
enough stuff to be wrong after the first object visit.  That Tab
key will continue to not strum but launch you in to the walls
every time you press it until you shut the program down.

Note to Tesla.  Don't use this logic in your AI efforts.

I did try NVDA+enter.  It said "Activate" and nothing else new
happened but this is definitely an issue of wrong focus or
remembering irrelevant information.

As I say, I have never used a piece of software that is
so broken.

If it turns out there is a strategy to make it normal,
it's not intuitive by any means.

The only thing good I can say is that if you can access
the different major headers, the program behaves but it is like
pulling teeth to get it to just do what it should.
Martin