Re: nvda in safe mode

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi Can you get a browser to work at present if you can I can send you to my nvda audio tutorials page at http://accessibilitycentral.net/nvda%20audio%20tutorials.html

I copied and pasted the directions of how to get into safe mode in windows. This is on a windows 10 machine. I can not remember but I think the latest versions of windows 10 might let you in without the patch.

I will drop box the patch if needed.

To use NVDA in safe mode
You will need to install a registry patch first. This file can be found at https://www.dropbox.com/s/jr72u3sk7p0za2r/Activate_Sound_in_Win10_Safe_Mode.zip?dl=0
After it has been installed it will allow you to use NVDA in safe mode. This has been tested on a Windows 7 and Windows 10 machine and with quite a few different sound cards.
Directions to go into and out of safe mode in Windows
You can reboot in to safe mode by doing the following:
Press Windows plus R and type msconfig and hit Enter
Press Ctrl plus Tab to get to the "boot tab"
Tab to "safe boot" and check the check mark/check box.
Tab to "base video" and check it as well.
Tab to the apply button. Press Enter (or spacebar).
Tab to the OK button and press it. You should get a prompt to restart the computer to apply the changes.
If you select "restart now" your PC should restart into safe mode.
Please note: When the registry patch has been installed, when you go into safe mode,  you will have sound and be able to use the NVDA screen reader.
Message you will get while in safe mode

To confirm you are in safe mode, you can use the NVDA key + letter B. Below is the type of message you will get as an example on a Windows 10 machine.
Safe Mode Microsoft (R) Windows (R) (Build 16299.rs3_release.170928-1534) Safe Mode
After finishing your PC job with safe mode, do the same steps above, but this time uncheck the two check boxes above for both safe boot, and base video. Tab to apply and press Enter. Tab to OK and press Enter (or spacebar) and restart. Your PC will restart to the normal mode.

On 27/01/2020 7:34 am, Martin McCormick wrote:
I had an accident yesterday when a batch file appears to
have deleted all the files in my c:\users\martin directory with
maybe the exception of a few. A del *.* that was supposed to
clean out a single folder deleted everything because it was
supposed to start in 1 specific directory but instead launched on
my whole file tree starting at c:\users\martin.

del /q/f/s *.*

I can log in just fine but if I run the cmd command or
powershell, I start out in c:\windows\system32 so a file that
tells the system my path was one of the casualties.

I know that deleting a file sends it to the recycle bin
so if I can recover those files that were deleted yesterday,
things should be good again but with even minor disasters, things
are all ways served with a touch of nasty sauce.

If I go to c:\users\martin, the directory is there along
with all the subdirectories but they are either all empty or
close to it.

I have opened the recycle bin but haven't found any
buttons that start the process of recovering the files that
should have gone there.

Since I normally work in unix, I have used this Windows
system primarily for it's browsers and to program two-way radios
whose programming software is only found under Windows so there
is about 60 GB out of close to 1 TB that is used.

Apparently, the best way to recover these files is in
Safe mode so my question is Does NVDA or narrator start in Safe
Mode yet?

If there is a way to tell the system to rebuild the lost
part of my home directory, this would do also as most of what was
lost is stuff that came with the installation as there were a
couple of replaceable files in Downloads and everything else was
either self-generated or can be rebuilt fairly easily.

This is no excuse but that is partly why I didn't have a
backup system going yet but was going to set one up very soon.
After this mishap, it will be sooner.

I am running Windows10 1809 with a build number of
1763.9-something

In Safe Mode, one can even use the command line to grab
files out of c:\$Recycle.Bin but when logged in as me, which is
the admin account, one can see $Recycle.Bin but listing it
yields a "File not found" error for the whole directory.

It's amazing what stupid things we can do when a bit
tired and in a hurry.

Martin