Re: nvda in safe mode

Oriana

Gene,

I'm sorry for the confusion but i was referring to Jackie.

On Sun, Jan 26, 2020, 4:58 PM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
I wasn't objecting to writing to the hard drive, if it means restoring files such as from old versions.  Have you used old versions?  System restore, when you run it, doesn't restore files if they are data files like documents, music, etc.  But old versions, or shadow copy, will restore deleted files. 

Gene
----- Original message -----
Sent: Sunday, January 26, 2020 3:20 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda in safe mode

I would recommend hiring or at least getting the advice of a local PC repair technician, or if the PC is under warranty contacting the manufacturer. As someone else said, it's a bad idea to do anything that will cause writes to the hard drive. This may include system restore (which, although ymmv, has never restored user files for me). The command line definitely bypasses the recycle bin, so the only way i know of to recover any of the files is to use one of the programs that takes advantage of hardware limitations - when windows deletes a file, what it actually does is delete the index indicating that the file exists. The data is still stored on your hard drive, but windows can't tell that it's there, so it will begin writing over the data. "Data Recovery" programs such as CCleaner's Recuva (accessibility unknown, but it claims to be able to restore data from even a reformatted drive, and it's free) will restore those index files or copy the data over to USB drives/optical storage (CDs, DVDs). I recommend the latter, obviously, in order to prevent Windows from writing over the top of any file.

On Sun, Jan 26, 2020, 3:51 PM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
I just did a little looking online.  I found information relating to using cmd in XP but in the small amount of searching I did, nothing that discussed Windows 10.  But I don't see why this would have changed.  The del command in XP doesn't send files to the recycle bin.  it just deletes them.  I read parts of one or two discussions about how to have files sent to the recycle bin when using cmd but they were for XP, and other old versions of Windows.  What is discussed may apply to Windows 10 but I don't know. 

Evidently it isn't the use of a batch file that causes this behavior, as I thought, but use of the del command either manually entered or in a batch file, if nothing is done to change this behavior.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, January 26, 2020 2:25 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda in safe mode

If I understand your message, you want to use the recycle bin.  This has nothing to do with safe mode.  The recycle bin is where files are sent when deleted in the ordinary way.  If they are there, you can open the recycle bin and you will see them.  You can restore them from the recycle bin.  If you want to do something else, we can discuss that.  If you have system Restore on and you have restore points, I would expect that you can do the same thing in Windows 10 as in Windows 7.  System Restore, by default, backs up all your files.  The feature is called Shadow Copy but in Windows 7, if you use it, it is called previous versions and it is in the properties of the drive, or of a folder or file.

If the files aren't available in the recycle bin and they aren't in Shadow Copy, you would have to use some sort of undelete program and I don't know which ones work well or if they work as well as desired. 

I suspect, however, though I don't know this, that when you delete files using a batch file, they aren't sent to the recycle bin.  I'm not sure why I think that, but I believe that is the case. 

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, January 26, 2020 12:34 PM
Subject: [nvda] nvda in safe mode

I had an accident yesterday when a batch file appears to
have deleted all the files in my c:\users\martin directory with
maybe the exception of a few.  A del  *.* that was supposed to
clean out a single folder deleted everything because it was
supposed to start in 1 specific directory but instead launched on
my whole file tree starting at c:\users\martin.

del /q/f/s *.*

I can log in just fine but if I run the cmd command or
powershell, I start out in c:\windows\system32 so a file that
tells the system my path was one of the casualties.

I know that deleting a file sends it to the recycle bin
so if I can recover those files that were deleted yesterday,
things should be good again but with even minor disasters, things
are all ways served with a touch of nasty sauce.

If I go to c:\users\martin, the directory is there along
with all the subdirectories but they are either all empty or
close to it.

I have opened the recycle bin but haven't found any
buttons that start the process of recovering the files that
should have gone there.

Since I normally work in unix, I have used this Windows
system primarily for it's browsers and to program two-way radios
whose programming software is only found under Windows so there
is about 60 GB out of close to 1 TB that is used.

Apparently, the best way to recover these files is in
Safe mode so my question is Does NVDA or narrator start in Safe
Mode yet?

If there is a way to tell the system to rebuild the lost
part of my home directory, this would do also as most of what was
lost is  stuff that came with the installation as there were a
couple of replaceable files in Downloads and everything else was
either self-generated or can be rebuilt fairly easily.

This is no excuse but that is partly why I didn't have a
backup system going yet but was going to set one up very soon.
After this mishap, it will be sooner.

I am running Windows10 1809 with a build number of
1763.9-something

In Safe Mode, one can even use the command line to grab
files out of c:\$Recycle.Bin but when logged in as me, which is
the admin account, one can see $Recycle.Bin but listing it
yields a "File not found" error for the whole directory.

It's amazing what stupid things we can do when a bit
tired and in a hurry.

Martin

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.