Re: nvda in safe mode

Oriana

Gene,

I'm sorry for the confusion but i was referring to Jackie.

On Sun, Jan 26, 2020, 4:58 PM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
I wasn't objecting to writing to the hard drive, if it means restoring files such as from old versions.  Have you used old versions?  System restore, when you run it, doesn't restore files if they are data files like documents, music, etc.  But old versions, or shadow copy, will restore deleted files.

Gene
----- Original message -----
From: Oriana
Sent: Sunday, January 26, 2020 3:20 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda in safe mode

I would recommend hiring or at least getting the advice of a local PC repair technician, or if the PC is under warranty contacting the manufacturer. As someone else said, it's a bad idea to do anything that will cause writes to the hard drive. This may include system restore (which, although ymmv, has never restored user files for me). The command line definitely bypasses the recycle bin, so the only way i know of to recover any of the files is to use one of the programs that takes advantage of hardware limitations - when windows deletes a file, what it actually does is delete the index indicating that the file exists. The data is still stored on your hard drive, but windows can't tell that it's there, so it will begin writing over the data. "Data Recovery" programs such as CCleaner's Recuva (accessibility unknown, but it claims to be able to restore data from even a reformatted drive, and it's free) will restore those index files or copy the data over to USB drives/optical storage (CDs, DVDs). I recommend the latter, obviously, in order to prevent Windows from writing over the top of any file.

On Sun, Jan 26, 2020, 3:51 PM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
I just did a little looking online.  I found information relating to using cmd in XP but in the small amount of searching I did, nothing that discussed Windows 10.  But I don't see why this would have changed.  The del command in XP doesn't send files to the recycle bin.  it just deletes them.  I read parts of one or two discussions about how to have files sent to the recycle bin when using cmd but they were for XP, and other old versions of Windows.  What is discussed may apply to Windows 10 but I don't know.

Evidently it isn't the use of a batch file that causes this behavior, as I thought, but use of the del command either manually entered or in a batch file, if nothing is done to change this behavior.