Re: nvda in safe mode

Gene

Have you looked in folder or drive properties to see if previous versions is in the properties dialog? 

In Windows 7, unless something causes System Restore to create a restore point more frequently, it creates one once a week.  the check box you mention is on by default.  And Shadow copy makes a backup of files when System Restore automatically runs once a week.  I haven't checked to see if restore points have previous versions available if one is made as the result of installing a program or for some other reason.  it doesn't seem plausible, however, that Shadow Copy would distinguish between how a restore point is made, though I am telling you what makes sense to me, I have no way of checking in Windows 10 and I would have to do something like install a program to check in Windows 7.

I have never seen anything in discussions of Shadow copy distinguishing between how a restore point is made.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, January 26, 2020 4:30 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda in safe mode

For future reference, volume shadow copy seems to be what happens when you run a manual or manually scheduled backup using Windows Backup where you've checked the box that says "save user files", and it only succeeds if the Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) is running at the time of the backup. The automatic Windows Backup/Restore run during patches and upgrades does not include user files, which is why i was unaware of this extra backup service at all. It also seems that restoring a shadow copy cannot be done through Windows Restore as Windows removed the GUI in Windows 8, although i may be mistaken as to the usage, or it may have been reimplemented in Windows 10. Here is a link describing two methods of recovering deleted files using shadow copies - but again, this only works if you know you've been creating shadow copies to begin with.

On Sun, Jan 26, 2020, 5:14 PM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
One would absolutely need to use a file recovery utility to get data back under these circumstances.  And when one is doing file recovery you never, ever, ever, attempt to recover to the same drive that you originally had the data on.  It's always recovered to a second drive to prevent the need to write anything to the drive being recovered from.  Ideally, in an instance like this, the recovery would be booted from USB or DVD-ROM so that absolutely no write activity is needed on the original drive.

And not to rub salt in an open wound, but this is a teachable moment:  this is but one of the myriad ways in which data can be lost on any given drive.  The only thing that comes close to an assurance of having data be "un-losable" is having a external backup drive and a regular, cyclic backup routine - with on-demand backups when you have any unusual high number of new files created in a very short period of time, e.g., uploading thousands of photos or ripping many CDs at one time.  If one has really, really critical and precious data, then one should be taking two backups to two different drives (whether one is physical and the other on the cloud, or both physical).  And one of those two backups should not be in the same physical location as either the computer being backed up or the other backup media.  Were you to have a flood, fire, or the like if all your data is in one physical location then it's all likely lost.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.

~ Madonna

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.