Re: nvda in safe mode

Martin McCormick

What I have read so far only mentions a special form of
del that is a security-oriented form which apparently destroys
the file and any file deleted that way is pretty much a goner but
whether or not it is done one at a time or by batch file is never
mentioned.

I really hope not to have to use Safe Mode. The system
continued to run after my accident though I got some messages
from browsers that indicated I zapped data files in my home
directory which need to be brought back.

I looked at further messages as I wrote this one and what
everybody is saying is valid but when files are deleted, they are
first moved to Recycle where they sit until either someone or process
empties the bin at which point, you really do make the job of
recovery much more difficult and dangerous or if you use the
Recycle Bin, the file just gets moved back from where it came.

Fortunately, these are user files, not system files.

Let 's make sure I am accessing the recycle bin correctly.

It's a Tree View when you hit Enter on Recycle Bin.

In a perfect world, there would be a Recovery engine that
would say "Where are the files to be recovered?" You might even
be given buttons that say "backup media, Recycle Bin" and you
pick 1 and probably should be given a recovery criteria in which
you can tell it everything that was deleted 24 or less hours ago.

What I can't seem to find anywhere is actual file names
or anyway to copy them anywhere or do anything else for that
matter.

All the articles say how easy this is which makes me
think that I'm looking in the wrong place or the absence of some
of those missing files is confusing the restore process.

Is there a mailing list similar to this one only about
Windows, specifically? I appreciate the knowledge and answers so
far, but NVDA is only tangentially related to this problem.

As a unix command-line junky for 30 years, deleting files
does create a situation in which forensic methods are needed to
bring them back and the only unix-based platform I know of that
also has a trash bin does initially move deleted files to it
until you empty the bin and that's pretty much that. That
platform is the Mac.

If your deleted file is still in the bin, you can copy it
out but when it's gone from there, it isn't worth the risk and
possible trouble.

Several articles I found on line say that Windows7 to 10
to first move deleted files to the bin.

"Gene" <gsasner@...> writes:

I just did a little looking online. I found information relating to
using cmd in XP but in the small amount of searching I did, nothing that
discussed Windows 10. But I don't see why this would have changed. The
del command in XP doesn't send files to the recycle bin. it just deletes
them. I read parts of one or two discussions about how to have files
sent to the recycle bin when using cmd but they were for XP, and other
old versions of Windows. What is discussed may apply to Windows 10 but I
don't know.

Evidently it isn't the use of a batch file that causes this behavior, as
I thought, but use of the del command either manually entered or in a
batch file, if nothing is done to change this behavior.