Re: nvda in safe mode

Oriana

Martin,

Unfortunately you will most likely have to use "forensic" methods of file recovery in order to recover the radio programming data. Similar to unix, using the command line to delete files in Windows bypasses the recycle bin. I don't think there's a security overwrite, however, unless you use a third-party program. The good news is that a live-boot forensic recovery program (or data recovery program as we've been referring to it) should also be able to restore the missing system files, although if that fails you will need to prepare to reinstall Windows.

File recovery software will work regardless of which drive the files are in, and it will recover whatever has not been overwritten, exactly the way it was at deletion, not at some point in the past during the last backup point. If there was any kind of "security overwrite", only a magnetic hard drive scanner would be able to recover the files, and those are too expensive for mainstream use - my original recommendation for a certified PC repair expert becomes the only option for recovery at that point, and even then, not every PC repair place will have such a device. The manufacturer would be another good point of reference, possibly able to recommend a third party repair even if the PC is not under warranty.

For programs that can be used to recover the files:

I've mentioned CCleaner's Recuva, but that's a windows program and I'm uncertain as to how to even live boot into a windows environment, regardless of accessibility. As you already have familiarity with unix, perhaps building a rescue drive using something like Vinux, Sonar, or Talking Arch flavors of Linux, which are optimized for screen-reading and braille displays, would be a good starting point for recovery, as you could then use any Linux industry standard file recovery programs, which are, to my understanding, more powerful than windows-based ones anyway.

On Sun, Jan 26, 2020, 6:04 PM Martin McCormick <martin.m@...> wrote:
        What I have read so far only mentions a special form of
del that is a security-oriented form which apparently destroys
the file and any file deleted that way is pretty much a goner but
whether or not it is done  one at a time or by batch file is never
mentioned.

        I really hope not to have to use Safe Mode.  The system
continued to run after my accident though I got some messages
from browsers that indicated I zapped data files in my home
directory which need to be brought back.

        I looked at further messages as I wrote this one and what
everybody is saying is valid but when files are deleted, they are
first moved to Recycle where they sit until either someone or process
empties the bin at which point, you really do make the job of
recovery much more difficult and dangerous or if you use the
Recycle Bin, the file just gets moved back from where it came.

        Fortunately, these are user files, not system files.

        Let 's make sure I am accessing the recycle bin correctly.

        It's a Tree View when you hit Enter on Recycle Bin.

        In a perfect world, there would be a Recovery engine that
would say "Where are the files to be recovered?" You might even
be given buttons that say "backup media, Recycle Bin" and you
pick 1 and probably should be given a recovery criteria in which
you can tell it everything that was deleted 24 or less hours ago.

        What I can't seem to find anywhere is actual file names
or anyway to copy them anywhere or do anything else for that
matter.

        All the articles say how easy this is which makes me
think that I'm looking in the wrong place or the absence of some
of those missing files is confusing the restore process.

        Is there a mailing list similar to this one only about
Windows, specifically?  I appreciate the knowledge and answers so
far, but NVDA is only tangentially related to this problem.

        As a unix command-line junky for 30 years, deleting files
does create a situation in which forensic methods are needed to
bring them back and the only unix-based platform I know of that
also has a trash bin does initially move deleted files to it
until you empty the bin and that's pretty much that.  That
platform is the Mac.

        If your deleted file is still in the bin, you can copy it
out but when it's gone from there, it isn't worth the risk and
possible trouble.

        Several articles I found on line say that Windows7 to 10
to first move deleted files to the bin.