Re: nvda in safe mode

Martin McCormick

The radio programming data are kept in an
off-system box. It's the radio. You connect a USB cable from
the programming socket on the radio to the usb port and tell the
programming software to "read" and voila, you've got a new
configuration. You then type Alt+f and click "save". That's the
standard Windows file utility and it saves to whatever you named
it.

I am kind of surprised you mentioned Linux because that
is exactly what I had in mind if everything else fails to pan
out.

Most Linux distributions these days are accessible such
as ubuntu and debian as well as talking arch, etc. The speech
synthesizer is called speakup and used to also be the voice of
nvda, for better or worse.

The PC I tried to murder is new as of last February 9 so
if a CDROM of Linux doesn't work, a bootable thumb drive just
may.

I wasn't going to talk about that because that is even
further afield but that is also potentially dangerous and I don't
advise anyone to try this as their first unix experience.

FAT32 file systems mount properly under unix and if all
you do is copy files, that will work. When you have a FAT32
system mounted in unix, the rules for case, file naming and other
behaviors are pure FAT32, not unix. In unix, splat.exe,
Splat.exe, SPLAT.exe SpLAT.EXE and any other combination of case
refer to 5 different files. I believe in Windows, if you did
that, they'd all overwrite each other so the last one is the
only one that survives.

Anyway, thanks to all and I'll take this to the win10 list when I
get signed up.

Thanks to all for your patience and for good discussion.

I'm also going to order that Seagate backup server for
my Mac and this PC. I just got careless and here we are.

I will let everybody know how I recovered the files when
that happens.

Martin McCormick

"Oriana" <@orineu> writes:

Martin,

Unfortunately you will most likely have to use "forensic" methods of file
recovery in order to recover the radio programming data. Similar to unix,
using the command line to delete files in Windows bypasses the recycle
bin.
I don't think there's a security overwrite, however, unless you use a
third-party program. The good news is that a live-boot forensic recovery
program (or data recovery program as we've been referring to it) should
also be able to restore the missing system files, although if that fails
you will need to prepare to reinstall Windows.

File recovery software will work regardless of which drive the files are
in, and it will recover whatever has not been overwritten, exactly the way
it was at deletion, not at some point in the past during the last backup
point. If there was any kind of "security overwrite", only a magnetic hard
drive scanner would be able to recover the files, and those are too
expensive for mainstream use - my original recommendation for a certified
PC repair expert becomes the only option for recovery at that point, and
even then, not every PC repair place will have such a device. The
manufacturer would be another good point of reference, possibly able to
recommend a third party repair even if the PC is not under warranty.

For programs that can be used to recover the files:

I've mentioned CCleaner's Recuva, but that's a windows program and I'm
uncertain as to how to even live boot into a windows environment,
regardless of accessibility. As you already have familiarity with unix,
perhaps building a rescue drive using something like Vinux, Sonar, or
Talking Arch flavors of Linux, which are optimized for screen-reading and
braille displays, would be a good starting point for recovery, as you
could
then use any Linux industry standard file recovery programs, which are, to
my understanding, more powerful than windows-based ones anyway.