Re: nvda in safe mode

Chris Mullins

Hi Martin
I too believe that if you delte files via the command line, it does
not use the Recycle bin. Below is something I found on the net, can't
say if it works or not but Windows 10 does have a File History feature
that this may be linked to.

Recover Permanently Deleted Files in Windows 10 Without Software
1. Navigate to the folder or the location where you stored the file in
the past. ( before being deleted)
2. Make a right-click on the folder and select the option “Restore
previous versions”.
blogs.systweak.com › how-to-recover-permanently-deleted-files-in-wind...
How to Recover Permanently Deleted Files in Windows 10 ...

Cheers
Chris

On 26/01/2020, Martin McCormick <martin.m@...> wrote:
I had an accident yesterday when a batch file appears to
have deleted all the files in my c:\users\martin directory with
maybe the exception of a few. A del *.* that was supposed to
clean out a single folder deleted everything because it was
supposed to start in 1 specific directory but instead launched on
my whole file tree starting at c:\users\martin.

del /q/f/s *.*

I can log in just fine but if I run the cmd command or
powershell, I start out in c:\windows\system32 so a file that
tells the system my path was one of the casualties.

I know that deleting a file sends it to the recycle bin
so if I can recover those files that were deleted yesterday,
things should be good again but with even minor disasters, things
are all ways served with a touch of nasty sauce.

If I go to c:\users\martin, the directory is there along
with all the subdirectories but they are either all empty or
close to it.

I have opened the recycle bin but haven't found any
buttons that start the process of recovering the files that
should have gone there.

Since I normally work in unix, I have used this Windows
system primarily for it's browsers and to program two-way radios
whose programming software is only found under Windows so there
is about 60 GB out of close to 1 TB that is used.

Apparently, the best way to recover these files is in
Safe mode so my question is Does NVDA or narrator start in Safe
Mode yet?

If there is a way to tell the system to rebuild the lost
part of my home directory, this would do also as most of what was
lost is stuff that came with the installation as there were a
couple of replaceable files in Downloads and everything else was
either self-generated or can be rebuilt fairly easily.

This is no excuse but that is partly why I didn't have a
backup system going yet but was going to set one up very soon.
After this mishap, it will be sooner.

I am running Windows10 1809 with a build number of
1763.9-something

In Safe Mode, one can even use the command line to grab
files out of c:\$Recycle.Bin but when logged in as me, which is
the admin account, one can see $Recycle.Bin but listing it
yields a "File not found" error for the whole directory.

It's amazing what stupid things we can do when a bit
tired and in a hurry.

Martin