Re: mp3 to text

JM Casey

I think this is far beyond the capabilities of Switch.

As I understand how these things work now, anything but an extremelyd edicated ( and probably quite expensive) package that will do this task relies on main servers for accuracy and comparison to human speech patterns. This is why voice recognition on my phone for instance is not good at all unless the phone is able to connect to Google, which does most of the work – your samples of speech are uploaded to google, whose servers translate back to text.

Something like  the voicmail system in MS Exchange, I believe, works in a similar way – and actually it’s VR capabilities are definitely not great – maybe just good enough to be able to read someone’s voicemail message without listening to it, but definitely not transcription quality.

People still hire professional transcribers to transcribe audio to text, and I think they will for a very long time yet. There’s a reason for this – voice recognition is pretty good nowadays, but it’s not *that* good. And if you’re looking at processing an entire lecture, that’s going to be a lot of work. You won’t find any free solutions that will do an adequate job; I’m not sure about this Dragon Naturally Speaking but as has been said, that’s a pro piece of software that will cost you more than a penny.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: January 27, 2020 11:48 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] mp3 to text

I don't know what accounts for the discrepancy.  I looked at the Switch home page and the description of the program says nothing about converting speech to text.  My program doesn't have such an option.  It is the free version. 

I did a Google search for something like Switch file Converter convert speech to text and I didn't find one mention in the first five or six results.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, January 27, 2020 8:08 AM

The free version, as I recall, works as a full version at the outset.  You may have enough time before it becomes a more limited free version to do what you want, but don't put it off.  I don't know how long the free period lasts but it may be only about a week.  I'm using Switch as the more limited free version and no such option exists. 

You will know when you have been switched to the free version because every time you run it, you will have to press enter to answer a message indicating that you want to continue using the free version.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, January 27, 2020 5:12 AM

Thanks all for your replies. I tried the free version and it has the functionality to convert to text too. Have a great day everyone!

On 1/27/2020 5:45 PM, David Griffith wrote:

Apologies and thanks for the update.

This facility was not in Switch when I bought it some years ago. Unfortunately my Switch activation no longer works on Windows 10 as they had a horrible habit of only allowing one install so I am clearly not up to date.

Thanks for correction.

David Griffith

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 27 January 2020 07:38
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] mp3 to text

the Switch program from nch software does indeed produce text from a

sound input file.

Don't know if this is available in the unpaid version. However it

certainly exists in the paid for version.

The facility is offered when the initial sound file is opened. The

choice is made from the out options (i.e. various formats including

text) when a choice is made to use the microsoft software available on

the pc. I chose uk english. The conversion process took approx 2 minutes

from a 4 meg mp3 to create a 21k txt file.

HTH

Andrea

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.