In actual fact, I believe this could be a Windows issue, not NVDA. Other programs such as Thunderbird will also launch if a command contains its name as part of the string. Maybe it's some kind of aliasing system which does a search for the strings of programs that use it?
Cheers,
Damien.

On 28/01/2020 06:07 pm, Gene wrote:
In the message I answered, this is stated:
If I type nvdaa instead of nvdaa, it doesn’t restart, but goes on to open the browser with the corresponding webpage address.
If the full address was stated in an earlier message, I don't recall it.  I should also add that my comments about needing to type the full path to run the NVDA executable in the run dialog may be wrong.  I use NVDA as a portable program.  I don't know what happens if you have it installed and use the run dialog.  Whatever the case, the executable is being run when just NVDA is being used.
*From:* Sarah k Alawami <mailto:marrie12@...>
*Sent:* Tuesday, January 28, 2020 11:56 AM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] NVDA restarts when I go to Github page from Run dialog
No, as clearly stated, he is typing the whole address. Nvda appears to restart. Have you tired this with edge, or firefox? I believe you said you did this with chrome. Can you try whit with the control l, then typing in that address you gave? Also can you screen record this behavior so we may take a look at it? You can upload it to keybase or something so those of us with sight can look.
Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. <http://www.tffppodcast.com> This is also our libsyn page as well.
Our telegram <https://t.me/tffppodcast> channel is also a good place for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.
Our discord <https://discord.gg/dfr7MaVK> is where you will know when we go live on [twitch.](twitch.tv/ke7zum] Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.
Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here <Http://patreon.com/tffppodcast>
On 28 Jan 2020, at 9:54, Gene wrote:
We need to be clear about what you are doing.  Are you talking about
the run dialog, Windows key being held and r or the start menu
search, press the windows key, then type something. None of the
behavior you are describing matches the run dialog.  Typing NVDA
should produce an error message because you haven't typed the path
to the folder containing the executable first.  Typing NVDAA should
also present an error message.  Using the start menu may produce the
results you are describing if you type something and the first
result is something you want and you press enter on it.
As I said, you are running the NVDA executable, which I strongly
suspect you are running from the start menu search.