NVDA and my bank's website.

Suzy

Hello to all,

I have problems with my bank's website. I am not sure how to describe them on github. In addition, that site overwhelms me. Furthermore, this situation may be difficult to comprehend without being able to experience the site.

My bank made major changes to their website in early September. The changes made the site frustrating to use, but it was not inaccessible. I contacted the bank about it, and let them know that there were issues with both Firefox and Chrome, when used with either NVDA or Narrator. They did not develop the site, so there was not much they could do for me.
I decided to wait and see if NVDA 2019.3 made the site useable. I was elated when the betas worked. (There were still issues, but the most important things were far better. I logged in several times with wonderful results. I planned to write to my contact at the bank and tell her the good news.
Today' I signed into my computer for the first time in five days. (I have been on vacation.) I updated NVDA to 2019.3 RC3. Then, I logged into my account to reconcile it. It was as if I had taken a step backward. Actually, it was worse. Currently, many links are not activating without using the touch screen.
I will try to describe the biggest problem as best as I can. This problem existed with NVDA 2019.2,disappeared with the 2019.3 beta, and reappeared with RC3.

According to those who can see, there is a series of tabs across the top of the page. There are items such as: kccounts, Transfers, Make Payments, and Profile.

selecting one of the tabs opens a menu containing items related to the tab. It is quite easy to visualize this as a menu with submenus. When NVDA arrives at this area, it announces, "Menu." None of the tabs are spoken.

Pressing Enter does not seem to make any changes. One would expect a menu to open and be where the word menu had been spoken.

After a lot of groping, I learned the tabs (or menu) could be found by pressing Control+End followed by a few presses of UpArrow.

I may need to clarify. The tabs are not available to a screen reader user until after “Menu,” is activated. Going to the bottom of the screen, locating the desired tab, and pressing Enter, drops down a menu immediately below the tab.

One more thing. Occasionally, the tabs would be at the top of the page, when using NVDA 2019.2. I do not know what caused this infrequent change in behavior.

Just to reemphasize. The beta versions of NVDA 2019.3 always read the tabs. There was no “Menu.”

As for links not activating unless double-tapping the touch screen, I haven’t explored that thoroughly. I do not need the links I tried very often. Also, there are other problems with the site, but I think they have more to do with poor design than anything else.

I hoped my bank had a dummy account someone could preview. Alas, that is not the case.

I would deeply appreciate any assistance.

Sincerely,

Suzy
P.S. I am using Windows 10 and Chrome. Both are fully updated.