Re: Windows defender marking NVDA a trojan

Jaffar Sidek

Hi Quentin.  I didn't encounter such an issue.  However, I do have an alternative work around for this issue.  Since this problem arises from Windows security, then it should be dealt with at the root., so here goes.

1.  Open up windows security.

2. Arrow down to "Virus and Threat Protection" and pres space bar on it.

3. tab to "Manage Settings" link and press the space bar on it.

4. tab over to "Add Or Remove Exclusions Link" and press space bar on it.  You will land on the "Add an exclusion" button.  Press space bar on it.

5. Now you will land on the list of Items you are allowed to exclude, the "Files" item is top of the list.  Press space bar on it.

6.  Now a browse dialog box will come up.  Browse to where you have your NVDA.exe saved, then tab to the "File Name" edit box and press enter, or just press enter when you have found NVDA.exe.

Now, you might want to ensure that the NVDA Folder on your hard drive is also excluded from Windows Securities's black list after you installed it.  Follow the same procedure, only this time selecting "Folders" for the exclusion procedure.  That item comes after "Files"  HTH.  Cheers!

On 7/2/2020 12:13 pm, Quentin Christensen wrote:
Hi folks,

It was NVDARemote the other week, now it seems it's our turn for Microsoft's random unfounded accusations.  If you try to install the release candidate of NVDA 2019.3, Windows Defender will alert you it has found a trojan in eSpeak NG and blocked it.  The install of NVDA will fail.

As a workaround for now, you can create a portable copy of the RC and that should run fine.  You won't be able to use eSpeak NG.

NVDA 2019.2.1 installs and runs fine, even using eSpeak NG (it uses a different build of eSpeak NG).

I am not sure whether this affects Windows 7 users as well.  I have reported it to Microsoft but I would encourage everyone else to as well.  To be honest, even aside from it being our program affected, this really annoys me.  Defender has NOT found a trojan in eSpeak, its heuristic (machine learning) has guessed that it looks a bit suspicious and flagged it - Ok that happens, but say that, don't say absolutely that a known malicious software has been found.

It took a day or so to fix Defender's virus list and have NVDARemote cleared, so I expect it will probably be within about the same timeline this time around.  Apologies for the inconvenience.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager