Re: Windows defender marking NVDA a trojan

Ian Blackburn

I’m on Windows 10 computer and the same
I update every day for all the updates and I’m running the latest version of release candidate
It went on fine thank you

On 7 Feb 2020, at 2:04 pm, Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@...> wrote:

Hi, Quentin,

I'm on a windows 10 computer and I'm not having this issue.

Rosemarie

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2020 10:00 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows defender marking NVDA a trojan

I believe this only affects Windows 10 at this stage?  Perhaps Rosemarie and Ron are using Windows 7?  Or their Defender hasn't updated to the latest definitions maybe?

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 4:30 PM Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@...> wrote:

Hi Group,

I also do not have this issue with RC3.

On 2/7/2020 12:28 AM, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:

Hi, Quentin,

I'm not having this problem on my system. I'm using espeak but I wonder if I should use something else just to be on the safe side.

Rosemarie

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2020 8:14 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Windows defender marking NVDA a trojan

Hi folks,

It was NVDARemote the other week, now it seems it's our turn for Microsoft's random unfounded accusations.  If you try to install the release candidate of NVDA 2019.3, Windows Defender will alert you it has found a trojan in eSpeak NG and blocked it.  The install of NVDA will fail.

As a workaround for now, you can create a portable copy of the RC and that should run fine.  You won't be able to use eSpeak NG.

NVDA 2019.2.1 installs and runs fine, even using eSpeak NG (it uses a different build of eSpeak NG).

I am not sure whether this affects Windows 7 users as well.  I have reported it to Microsoft but I would encourage everyone else to as well.  To be honest, even aside from it being our program affected, this really annoys me.  Defender has NOT found a trojan in eSpeak, its heuristic (machine learning) has guessed that it looks a bit suspicious and flagged it - Ok that happens, but say that, don't say absolutely that a known malicious software has been found.

It took a day or so to fix Defender's virus list and have NVDARemote cleared, so I expect it will probably be within about the same timeline this time around.  Apologies for the inconvenience.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

-- 
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.