Re: Windows defender marking NVDA a trojan

Is there any way we can present all the stuff which is being detect as a virus or something to the industry or someone and tell them its not?

Bgt programs are well known, a few older programs, and the like.

However this starts getting serious when a lot of our stuff is misreported.

It seems that all accessible software is some sort of virus I know some are not as sinicle as me, but on the systems I admin with only the screen reader on them, no virus issues here I have so much false malware I can't even run a scan.

Its nice that something is automatically detecting the latest threat, but so many false possitives.

I know if it happens to some big companies they threaten to sue and the problem suddenly stops.

But I see no way to directly contact all these companies and say enough is enough.

The only way to fix this is work round it.

That means more places malware could potentially go.

Not a good solution.

What is really needed, is to have someone look at all these misdetections and see why its happening.

Its not just microsoft and malwarebytes its just about every engine from avg to antivir, to avast, to norton, to just about everything else.

So everyone must be using some sort of database from some source.

As a user I can exclude things which bypasses the problem but I don't feel good about doing that.

Neither do I feel good about having to reload something because of a issue that is not mine either.

But I'm just a user that barely understands some of the software just that it works.

This issue has plagued me and a few others I know for years.

This rant and ramble comes up every year.

Somewhere someone will mention it, either here, a forum, an email to me or a blog post and I say the same things.

Nothing gets done or can be done maybe?

Every time I ask questions but get no answers.

As A user I would vary much like to do something about it.

But what can I do.

Well report the file but if they are bigger than allowed report, and to send it to the cloud it just gets canned, hmm.

The only solution I can see is get someone to remote in and show them all the files I have excluded and why, but um, I don't know how to go about it.

Support desk is full of scripted drones.

I wouldn't trust them with my computer not after last year anyway.

On 7/02/2020 7:36 pm, Quentin Christensen wrote:
I got an automated email back from Microsoft saying they'd concluded the file was not malware.  Hopefully that resolution filters through fairly quickly.

My system is still flagging the file as malicious even though I've tried updating the virus definitions.

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 5:03 PM Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@...> wrote:

Hi, Quentin,

I'm on a windows 10 computer and I'm not having this issue.

Rosemarie

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2020 10:00 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows defender marking NVDA a trojan

I believe this only affects Windows 10 at this stage?  Perhaps Rosemarie and Ron are using Windows 7?  Or their Defender hasn't updated to the latest definitions maybe?

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 4:30 PM Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@...> wrote:

Hi Group,

I also do not have this issue with RC3.

On 2/7/2020 12:28 AM, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:

Hi, Quentin,

I'm not having this problem on my system. I'm using espeak but I wonder if I should use something else just to be on the safe side.

Rosemarie

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2020 8:14 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Windows defender marking NVDA a trojan

Hi folks,

It was NVDARemote the other week, now it seems it's our turn for Microsoft's random unfounded accusations.  If you try to install the release candidate of NVDA 2019.3, Windows Defender will alert you it has found a trojan in eSpeak NG and blocked it.  The install of NVDA will fail.

As a workaround for now, you can create a portable copy of the RC and that should run fine.  You won't be able to use eSpeak NG.

NVDA 2019.2.1 installs and runs fine, even using eSpeak NG (it uses a different build of eSpeak NG).

I am not sure whether this affects Windows 7 users as well.  I have reported it to Microsoft but I would encourage everyone else to as well.  To be honest, even aside from it being our program affected, this really annoys me.  Defender has NOT found a trojan in eSpeak, its heuristic (machine learning) has guessed that it looks a bit suspicious and flagged it - Ok that happens, but say that, don't say absolutely that a known malicious software has been found.

It took a day or so to fix Defender's virus list and have NVDARemote cleared, so I expect it will probably be within about the same timeline this time around.  Apologies for the inconvenience.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

-- 
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

--

Quentin Christensen

--
Quentin Christensen

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.