Re: Alpine and Pico (fwd)

Christopher Gray

My answer to thkat is that Alpine and Pico are currentlym maintained. If help from their developer(s) is needed, it would be given.

Chris

On Fri, 7 Feb 2020, Brian Vogel via Groups.Io wrote:

On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 , Christopher Gray wrote:

I use two fairly old pieces of software: the Alpine email client; the Pico
text editor.
The fact is that a lot of "fairly old pieces of software" were not written with accessibility in mind at all, and if they are not being maintained and updated, are very unlikely to become accessible with any screen reader that does not already work with them.

Screen reader developers, and developers in general, have little enough time to keep up with ongoing changes that they cannot ignore if they wish to remain working with currently supported operating systems and software.  Any expectation that they can, or should, reach back into the distant past for software no longer maintained, or even maintained but where the developers of said software have done nothing to make it compatible with screen readers, is unreasonable and unrealistic.

*Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.*

~ Madonna

Have you considered Annual Giving or including a gift to Missouri Council of the Blind in
your Will or Estate Plan? Contact me as shown below and I can help you with this.

Christopher Gray, Executive Director
Missouri Council of the Blind

5453 Chippewa
St. Louis, MO 63109
Phone: (314) 832-7172
Toll-free: (800) 342-5632
Fax: (314) 832-7796

Like Jazz? Want to know more about jazz?
Tune into "A Journey into Jazz" with the Jazz Guys on the Global Voice, Chris and Don.
Listen live each Wednesday at 00:00 Utc, 7:00 P.M. Eastern, 4:00 P.M. Pacific
Find us by going to theglobalvoice.info/broadband.pls.
Can't listen live? go to theglobalvoice.info and choose the "Listen to
Past Shows" link any time during the week after each live broadcast.
You can also go to the link www.jazzguys.libsyn.com for the podcasts!
Or, subscribe to us through iTunes or TuneIn Radio.