Re: Braille me and NVDA2019.3?

Jason White

We can add Vispero to the list:

On 2/8/20, 11:37, "Buddy Brannan" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of buddy@...> wrote:

So far, Orbit Research is the only one from whom I’ve seen any sort of announcement, and that being they’re the first to implement the new USB braille display specification. The question then becomes, which screen reader manufacturers are taking advantage of it? So…yeah, great that at least one manufacturer has implemented. I *think* NVDA and Narrator support it. Maybe that means it’s built into Windows. I recall Apple was involved in the implementation of the standard, but I don’t know if it’s been built into OS X or not. Since it appears to be USB and not bluetooth, it is probably not on iOS. So it seems to me that getting the standard fully realized is not going to be a short or easy process, though I’m glad it’s at least started.

Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Email: buddy@...
Mobile: (814) 431-0962

On Feb 8, 2020, at 11:10 AM, Jason White via Groups.Io <jason=jasonjgw.net@groups.io> wrote:
>
> I read an announcement some time ago about a new USB standard for braille devices. If I remember correctly, it was part of the HID standard.
>
> If braille display manufacturers implement the standard, then many of these issues with screen reader compatibility will go away. I don't know which manufacturers plan to implement, however.
>
> On 2/8/20, 10:55, "Buddy Brannan" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of buddy@...> wrote:
>
> Dunno about that. Weren’t their assets purchased by another company not long after they went away in 2017-2018? So they may emerge again, but no idea when or what form that will take, if any.
>
>
> Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
> Email: buddy@...
> Mobile: (814) 431-0962
>
>
>
>> On Feb 8, 2020, at 10:39 AM, Brian Tew via Groups.Io <briantew1951=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
>>
>> Not Baum--they are history
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.