Re: Serious problems with the latest Windows 10 update

Gene

Also, see this article. 
Here is a brief excerpt. 

The problematic update, which was released in late January, is now breaking down even more PCs and causing performance issues.
KB4532695 causes BSOD, boot failure and system slowdown
Initially, it appeared that Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) is only hitting a small set of computers, but the problem appears to be widespread now.
Several users in our comment section and Microsoft’s forum are pointing the blame at KB4532695 for a Blue Screen of Death (complete crash of the PC) with a critical error message and different stop codes.

Users are now also reporting a complete boot failure and significant performance slowdown, which suggests that there are some very nasty gremlins in the works.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2020 1:17 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Serious problems with the latest Windows 10 update

I wouldn't take a chance on this update, based on information in this article.

Here is a quote:

It’s now become apparent that the Windows 10 KB4532695 update has also introduced other serious problems, with Windows Latest reporting that users are complaining that as soon as they’ve installed the update, the sound stops working on their PC.
According to Windows Latest, one user on Microsoft’s community forum complained that “I installed the update Saturday afternoon and immediately the sound stopped working,” with Windows 10 now not recognising their speakers.
Not only is that incredibly annoying, but, rather worryingly, it seems the problem didn’t go away once the user uninstalled the update - and it even persisted after they performed a full reinstall

I don't think that problems that are widespread enough to receive the degree of attention this update has can be blamed, for the most part on user neglect or error.  True, this article says for some users.  How many is that?  I would imagine in beta testing, many bugs affect a minority of users, but they are real and are fixed.

Gene
Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2020 12:01 PM

I checked the article with two other sources and they both stated the same things with additional information.  One source said that many people aren't affected but for those who are affected, there are a wide variety of possible problems and loss of audio is one.  I wouldn't be surprised if a USB sound card would work but why take chances on that or a large number of other possible bugs occurring?
and

Regarding Kim Komando's accuracy, I find oversimplifications and exaggerations at times, but I find most information to be either accurate or reasonably so.

Gene
Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2020 9:23 AM

Gene is correct that this is an optional update and it does not install unless you activate the Download and install link on the Windows Update pane.

I have also found that Kim Komando is far from the most reliable source on anything Windows related.  She's wrong as much, or more, as she's right, so consider the source.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.

~ Madonna

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.