Re: Update: Defender no longer mistakenly flagging NVDA

Well thats good to know.

I do really wish that if there is something a security detects as a potential issue that it finds and says its a possible issue because it may be unknown or it could be bad, or it looks like %trogen name but its unsure.

What I have had happen on the net is that software x is a trogen and its name is given.

The developer is contacted, he looks at it and says its not.

People then flame the dev and say its a virus, then start saying all his stuff is a virus and he is bad.

One of 2 things happen.

1.  the developer fixes it, is aware and handles it.

or.

2:  and sadly what mostly happens in some forums.

The developer goes, deletes his stuff and storms off.

People trust their security and think its the word of god and once there is a name well they throw it about like a piece of well chooed gum.

They don't care where it goes, they start making drama and so it goes on.

I don't even think the companies realise what dammage they are doing.

False positives are just things things find because it looks like something else.

Thats not a problem but when they start naming and shaming its a problem.

When avg used to find stuff like this it was like avg found unknown trogen name. ext which is in file and folder name and extention, is not in our database.

I didn't really care but it was clear that it had found something it wasn't sure and didn't have.

Sadly a friend that uses various software packages but has from time to time had to test some things for his job has encountered this to.

He knows what it is but it can get frustrating at times.

One day he decided to take his work home with him and well norton did a number on the family computer killing many files, screwing up drives and the like.

He lost a backup drive, his os drive and a data drive.

He now uses a restricted account for home and work and his admin but things do from time to time appear so you are not alone with this stuff.

On 10/02/2020 3:45 pm, Quentin Christensen wrote:
Hi everyone,

Just a quick update - I mentioned on Friday that Microsoft had fixed their Defender definitions.  At the time it hadn't filtered down to me at least, although later on Friday it did and everything was fine again.  You should no longer have trouble installing NVDA 2019.3rc3 from: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2019-3rc3-now-available-for-testing/

If you are still having trouble using eSpeak on a previously installed or setup copy of the RC, you might need to install again, as Defender probably deleted the eSpeak.dll file (the file it was incorrectly flagging as problematic).

Also just to reassure everyone, there never was a problem with eSpeak or NVDA - there never was a trojan or malicious software, it was simply Windows defender incorrectly marking the espeak dll as problematic, even though there was nothing wrong with the file.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen