Re: NVDA Not Working with CyberLink PowerDVD Ultra 19

lauracornwell

Hey there, to all the new nvda works great from hear also do we know when remote is going to hit the aire waves? I have had  a lot of people asking me .

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Sunday, February 9, 2020 9:14 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Not Working with CyberLink PowerDVD Ultra 19

I haven't used Cyberlink myself, but I wonder for those who have it, have you reached out to Cyberlink about the accessibility problems?

WIthout having looked at the software this is all just general, but in general:

- NVDA supports standard controls (buttons, edit boxes, labels, etc), so if a program uses standard controls they should generally be accessible.  There might be issues like if they created the buttons in reverse order TAB might take you everywhere in a weird order, but you should be able to get there.

- If a developer has created their own custom controls, they may not be accessible, depending on whether they based them off an accessible control or really did create them from scratch.  If they created them from scratch, it's still possible to make them accessible, it just requires extra work in terms of ensuring information is declared to accessibility APIs which might be listening, labels are attached to edit boxes, and so on.

- Often, it's not just being able to tab or arrow to information, but you need to be able to quickly jump to important controls.  If you have a telephone answering program for instance, you really want a shortcut that will let you answer the phone immediately - you don't want to have to tab 35 times to get to the "answer" button.  You also want the program to alert you to the fact that the phone is ringing in the first place.  A flashing light with no other indication and nothing for NVDA to detect isn't going to be very accessible.

There might be things NVDA can do better to access a program, and it might be possible to write an add-on or modify NVDA to overcome issues with the above points, however if the developer of the original software can address those points and ensure their software is as accessible as possible, then it will help not only NVDA users, (and NVDA users who don't have a specific version of NVDA or a particular add-on) but it will help other users as well - users of other screen readers, keyboard users who might not use a screen reader, etc.

As I said, I haven't used this particular program so those are all general comments.

Regards

Quentin.

On Sun, Feb 9, 2020 at 4:08 PM Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@...> wrote:

Thats true.

I have had a similar issue with abbyy fine reader 15.

At first they just said it worked with jaws and that was fine but would test it.

It took them over a month to test and find it was their software being bad.

Now its not been fixed yet but its in the cue so its going to appear at some point maybe in the next update in the 15 x series whenever that is.

On 9/02/2020 3:22 am, Brian Vogel wrote:

What any screen reader user needs to understand is that issues of inaccessibility can originate with the screen reader itself, the software you're trying to use it to control, or both.

Your request is not unreasonable, but be aware that it may have nothing to do with NVDA (or any other screen reader) and may have everything to do with something the folks at CyberLink have done (or not done) with PowerDVD Ultra 19.

There are times, of course, where both sides of the equation will have tweaks that must be made.

       ~ Madonna

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager