Re: special characters and punctuation feedback while typing in v2019.3.1

Gene

I would imagine there is a setting to change this behavior but it is another example of a very poor choice for the default being chosen.  Are such choices reviewed by a panel of users or perhaps sent to a list like this?  How are such choices made?  At times defaults are chosen that I consider very poor.

Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 5:00 AM
Subject: [nvda] special characters and punctuation feedback while typing in v2019.3.1

Hi,

I searched for this problem, but could not find a topic on it ... so if
this already was asked, I am sorry...

Since the update the feedback of special characters and punctuation
while typing has changed when you set the feedback to "words" and
disable "characters".

normally special characters and punctuation was spoken emedeately on
their keypress together with any other characters, that have been typed
before.

example of old behaviour:

type: a.

feedback: a dot

new behavour:

type: a.

feedback: a

this is very problematic as you now do not get any feedback on typed
special characters and punctuation. Try to type a smiley, you won't hear
it. just silence.

Tried that with eloquence and espeak. So the speech/voice does not matter.

Hope this can be fixed

and additionally I would suggest to add a option/choice to choose wether
special characters (and numbers) should be spoken emedeately on their
keypress or together with other characters as whole words. So users
could decide, which they prefer, as there where discussions in the past
about that.

but right now it would be important to get back any feedback for theese
special characters and punctuation.

cheers

Martin