Re: questions for Newest nvda update.

Quentin Christensen

You can get Eloquence for NVDA, which works with 2019.3:  https://codefactoryglobal.com/app-store/voices-for-nvda/

I must admit, I don't know how it handles accented characters etc, but you can try the demo and check.

The fact that it works with eSpeak NG and not OneCore, indicates it is an issue with the OneCore voices rather than NVDA itself.  I'd suggest raising that with the Microsoft Disability Answer Desk: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/disability-answer-desk

I just tried it with Microsoft SAPI 5 voices, and they read é as "e with acute".

If it is a specific set of characters, the other thing you can do is open NVDA's "punctuation / Symbol pronunciation" settings (NVDA+N, then P for preferences, then choose "punctuation / Symbol pronunciation", add an entry for each character, and what you would like to have said for it.

Re ClipSpeak, the reason we haven't added it in to core, is primarily that there is no definitive way to know that something has been cut, copied, pasted, etc.  The way the add-on works is by checking what else is going on, what is selected or on the clipboard now etc, and making an educated guess.  It does a fairly good job, but it is still a guess, and we'd rather not present something we are not sure about.  I'm also not sure if there are any performance impacts from the add-on.  I didn't notice any last time I used it, but I have a fairly fast machine and didn't rigorously test it.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 10:26 PM Christo Vorster <christo.vorster.klavierstem@...> wrote:

Hi

At the time I posted my question regarding the ASCII-code, I used the one core voices. I tried it with SAPPI5 as well, and they also don’t sy anything else but, eg, e.

I accept that ESpeak NG might say the correct letter, but, call me full of nonsense, I haven’t found one of the ESpek NG voices that satisfy me.

I used to use Eloquence.

I suppose, if I don’t want to use the ESpeak voices, I just have to bare with what I have.

It would be nice if the NVDA developers could try to solve this problem in a next upgrade.

Regarding “copy and paste:, wouldn’t it be possible to make that add-on a built-in feature of NVDA?

Regards

On 2020-02-13 11:17 AM, Christo Vorster wrote:

Hi List

I have another problem since I upgraded to NVDA 2019.3.

In Afrikaans we regularly make use of the ASCII codes for ‘accents’, ‘pounds’, ‘euros’ and much more.

To access the ASCII codes, we use the ALT-key plus the numeric keypad. I did everything, as I usually did, turned on the numeric-keypad, held down ALT and typed the number sequence.

Nothing happened. I tried it several times, with no success. Previously NVDA read the coded letter.

I also, previously wrote regarding the addon announcing copy and paste. I tried to update the addon, with no success. Can someone please hel?

Regards