Re: Number and Abbrieviation Processing

Quentin Christensen

It can be done with NVDA's speech dictionary.  You'd need to use a "regular expression" (regex) to avoid having enter every possible combination of numbers.  Actually another way (since I haven't ever sat down and properly learned regex, and I haven't fully thought this through) I just tried, is to make a speech dictionary entry to change "." (period or full stop, no quotes) to "dot" (d o t, again no quotes).

Regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 8:30 AM Gary <ironmangary@...> wrote:
I don't know if this is two issues or one and if it's something that
can be done within NVDA.  I use the Windows core voices synthesizer,
although it occurs with the Microsoft SAPI synth as well.  I do not
want dates or abbreviations to be processed.  For example, the latest
version of NVDA, 2019.03.01 is read as "March 1, 2019" instead of
"2019 dot 03 dot 01".  Additionally, I am hearing hello.pl as "hello
dot place" instead of "hello dot p l."  Obviously, I know I can use
the dictionary to teach NVDA to read "pl" as "p l" but there seems to
be dozens of these abbreviations.  I look at software versions all day
so the first example is driving me crazy.

Is there a way within NVDA to say ignore date processing and
abbreviation processing?  I definitely have been unsuccessful finding
how this would be done with the synthesizer software.  If there is a
synthesizer that has this level of control that won't hit my wallet
too hard and actually has a real sounding voice, I'd be interested in
going that route if it's my only option.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Gary

--
Quentin Christensen