Re: Number and Abbrieviation Processing

John Isige

Out of curiosity, why doesn't the "Trust voice's language when
processing characters and symbols" setting at least handle the expansion
of abbreviations issue? I always wondered about that.

Anyway, if there's a way around this, it would be nice if somebody could
put up a dictionary file or such. It happens with the Microsoft voices,
SAPI 5 and OneCore, and SAPI 5 Eloquence I'm pretty sure. It's
especially annoying in web pages and file names, e.g. when you have
something like "heading level 3 Mary's Devotion", and it gets read as
something like "march threerd why's devotion". BTW it did it with that
example I made up, the second quote is how it read the first quote, SAPI
5 Eloquence from Code Factory.

On 2/15/2020 2:43 PM, Gary wrote:
Hi Quentin,

Thank you for your reply.

I tried both suggestions.  For the simpler replacement of the period
with the word "dot," this worked for the number processing, but made
reading text difficult.  For the regex solution, this didn't work as
expected, and I should have realized it before I tried.  The problem
with using regex is that there is no way to capture the value the
regex expression is matching to pass it from the input to the output.

For example, to adjust how NVDA handles numbers seperated by periods,
Here's what I entered:

String to match: [0-9].[0-9]
Replacement: [0-9] dot [0-9]

Doing this, NVDA properly made a replacement based on the string I
wish to have matched.  However, the replacement was literally what I
put into the replacement string.  So, for example:

2019.3.1

was read as:

201 [0-9] dot [0-9] [0-9] dot [0-9]

A script would need to be written to properly do this, I'm afraid.

Honestly, a toggle to turn off date processing would be best.
Otherwise, I suppose I'll need to look around at other software
synthesizers or see if this has ever been asked of the Microsoft
community.

Gary