Re: my configuration is almost complete with 2019.3

Rui Fontes

Is not Windows that install...

It is NVDA that installs...

The Windows association tells Windows that is NVDA that handles NVDA-ADDON files...

NVDA will install the add-on in the running copy...

Regards,

Rui Fontes

Às 05:18 de 17/02/2020, Gene escreveu:

I don't have an installed version so I have to use the Manage add-ons option in NVDA.  I'm very curious about what I asked before, how Windows knows what version to install to, the portable or installed version if you press enter.

Sent: Sunday, February 16, 2020 8:55 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] my configuration is almost complete with 2019.3

Well, I guess I didn't know better, but I install add-ons to a portable version in the same way as with an installed version. I just press ENTER on the .nvda-addon and it installs to the running version. Updating add-ons works the same way for me.

On 2/16/2020 8:10 PM, Gene wrote:
As far as I know, to install an add-on in a portable version, you can't just press enter on it.  The whole point of a portable program is to run and not make any changes to the system it is running on.  If it told Windows to install add-ons with the extension used, that would be making a change in the registry.
I'm quite sure that you must use Manage Add-ons in the tools submenu of NVDA when installing to a portable version.