Re: Question for NVDA Compiler Team?

To be honest, I don't see it dieing even if it did drop out from release even now.

For starters, nvda's really strong point is that it relies a lot on in built things from the os.

So if its got a problem, chances are your windows has a problem or your hardware has a problem, ie it will effect more than just nvda.

Its written in a really good scripting language.

With bgt and the false positive thing, and all sorts of things if anything is to get gleened from this, any potential programmer will now know that python is rock solid for writing a screen reader and thats no mean feet.

If it can run something as important as a screen reader and plugins for it then a game from blind to sighted or anything else for that matter is possible.

Nvda just works out the box web related things, and since just about everything is chrome engine based these days even down to a lot of the newer cloud based apps nvda will work with it.

True there are cases for using comercial software but that no longer extends to the average user.

Naturally nvda like everything about will have its limitations, those limitations in my experience have to do with some of the older stuff which is not web enabled and I have a bit of that here and a few other things but for the most part it just works.

Nvda does not rely on drivers that need to run at startup or anything.

The only extra in a system for nvda is its service and that has not impaired users that are sighted as I have systems that I run nvda with sighted users so.

It seems to get round display issues and a few others to.

I am having a big issue with a program I am testing, yes its another reader, and that one has issues with my amd display but also a few issues with intel ones with accessing a certain menu, the start one.

Nvda doesn't care what drivers are installed or what is loaded, it just works.

Nvda doesn't care about anything bar itself.

Using internal libraries for its synths makes it a really fast option.

No third party synthesiser managers and video intercepts.

Opensource for the most part bar those addons like extra voices needing cash.

And I have had it in situations working with speech where a video card on a system was completely broken and couldn't process video at all.

It also does not need a screen to use it or anything.

I maintain systems without a screen attached.

On 18/02/2020 12:06 am, Quentin Christensen wrote:
Well as you say, it's been around since 2006 and we don't see it disappearing any time soon.  We have a fantastic team, a great community and NVDA is the most popular screen reader (according to the WebAIM survey:  https://webaim.org/projects/screenreadersurvey8/) so, I'm quite optimistic about the future!

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 2:33 PM David Ouimet <whitewater2612@...> wrote:

Hi, I wanted to ask the ones on the NVDA compiler team this. I was thinking of using NVDA exclusively, well would use narrator as well too.  Do you see NVDA bein used for the long range future, Like LibreOffice has been? I know its been around since 2006, so that is a pretty good track record. I hope so!

Thanks, David

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager