Re: NVDA with Password

Dave Grossoehme

Good Day:  In February first if I backspaced out of the password field I would hear a blank for when you are at the beginning of the field.  Then the stars would start.  With March 1 if you make this same procedure you don't hear anything at all.  If you move forward you will hear the stars spoken.  It's like the backspace key would place you a character before the password field in your sign in location.

Dave

I must admit I hadn't paid attention to this, but I don't think you should hear "blank" when moving to the start of a piece of text.  If you move the caret to the start of a field with text in it, NVDA should report the first character (the character to the right of the caret).  If you are in a password field, NVDA should report "star" instead of the character.

Just testing this now, NVDA 2019.2.1 seems to behave exactly the same for me?  As in, I don't get "blank" at the start of the password field, unless the field itself is blank.

Also, 2019.2.1 is a minor ".1" point release of the second main version of 2019, not February first, although I know Eloquence at least reads it like a date.

Regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 3:08 AM Dave Grossoehme <dave@...> wrote:
Good Morning:  With the February first version of NVDA you could hear a
blank if you went past the beginning of the stars in your password
field.  This is the field for when signing into the computer that I'm
referring to.  With the new version you hear nothing and it's like you
can't go any farther back.  This blank help to know when you are at the
beginning of the field.  How does anyone else feel about this?  This
word of blank help me know that I'm at the beginning of the field
especially if a mistake had been made.  This tells me that I can start
again to enter my information.  As it is now with an insiders version of
windows 64 bit addition of 2004 it might be different than anyone else.

Dave

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager