Re: LAMBDA 1.3.0 #addonrelease

Dave Grossoehme

Good Afternoon Joseph:  Is it possible that someone needs to look over an add on as far as documentation before it goes on the list?  If the person doesn't write in good enough English, to be understood, this person could help out.

Dave

On 2/16/2020 11:01 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

As part of basic review for add-ons, we the add-ons community look for documentation and ways to improve an add-on’s readme. For the most part, documentation for many add-ons provide essential information, although we must remember that not all authors are well versed in English idioms (I am known for writing good documentation, although I have to constantly remind myself that, as a non-native English speaker, I need to cater to folks like me and also find ways to improve my own add-ons’ docs).

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Sunday, February 16, 2020 9:58 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] LAMBDA 1.3.0 #AddonRelease

On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 12:36 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

The thing is, not many add-on authors are members of users list.

In this case I was referring to those that are and who might make an announcement here, but you bring up a very important point.

I have been disappointed, sorely disappointed, at how little documentation of any sort is available for a great many of the add-ons on both the official and under development pages.  I truly cannot fathom why anyone would dedicate the time and effort, which is substantial, to creating a tool for use with NVDA and then never give a public statement regarding what that tool actually does and how to use it, particularly on the page from which it is downloaded.

There are constantly people arriving who are new to NVDA.  I'm certainly not new to NVDA anymore, but I still have no idea of what a number of the add-ons do.  Whether I use them or not, that information should be front and center on the page where the add-on is obtained.  To my mind, it shouldn't even go up on such a page without documentation.

       ~ Madonna